Connect with us

Plugged 120V AC into 240V power

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by MrJed, Jun 25, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. MrJed

MrJed

Jun 25, 2012
    I bought a Rubik's Touchcube from ebay, it had a USA type Parallel Flat plug, so I stupidly plugged it in with an adapter to a 240V australian power point without thinking it might need a converter, which I'm assuming it did.

When I plugged it in, it turned on and started charging for about 30 seconds, then I heard a pop type sound, the cube stayed on from the little charge it got but quickly went flat.

It has 3 main parts, the power supply, the charging base, and the cube itself.

So, I don't think the cube itself is damaged, what I was wondering is if the charging base would have likely been damaged by this, or just the power supply.

If it is just the power supply, I've been trying to find a replacement one, but it's incredibly unlikely someone will be selling the "official" one seperately. I have no problem buying a different one, I just don't want to buy the wrong type and cause more problems. I've tried searching ebay and google, but don't know enough to confidently buy one.

So here are some pictures of the power supply, I'd be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction as to what I should be buying.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is one of the charging base, the text says "DC9V 300mA"
    [​IMG]

Here is one of the inside of the charging base, if it may help tell if it's damaged:
    [​IMG]

Thank you for your time, I am more than happy to provide any extra info that may help.

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Likely the wall wart that popped, get a new Australian one with 9v DC out and at least 300mA... Also mind the polarity center is positive, sleeve is negative...

Now the bigger issue is matching the barrel connector, you really need a better tool to measure to get the correct size...

I can hazard a guess as to it being a 5.50mm OD and possibly a 2.10 mm ID? But, that is just an educated guess based on the out of focus picture you posted...

If you have a local electronics store take the wall wart with you and match it up in person...

Edit you can get a universal one like this, that has a multitude of tips you can plug it and match, but it's a little costly for what it is...

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MP3496

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  3. MrJed

MrJed

Jun 25, 2012
    Thanks for your answer, sorry about the photo, my camera was having trouble doing autofocus at such close small detail, and I don't have much practise with manual focus.

Thanks for the link, I don't have any electronic stores nearby, but it might be worth finding the time to go to one sometime. I'll have a think about it but that universal one is a good backup option.

4. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    The connector is 1.3mm X 3.5mm X 9.5mm or 1.4mm X 3.8mm X 9.5mm.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  5. p1taylor

p1taylor

Jun 24, 2012
    110 to 240 no 240to 110 OK don just same thing.

Ask a Question