Connect with us

PLease help usa GE walk dont walk timer/sign repair/use????????

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by supermotolew, Feb 24, 2016.

1. supermotolew

supermotolew

Oct 29, 2015
    Hi all hopefully someone can help me !

im here in the uk and I have a American walk/don't walk sign with timer I would like to light this on a relay timer and hang it in my workshop . see link below

I've connected this to 110v ac on both hand and walk but I have no life at all . I've probed various diodes inside just after the input (presuming these convert to dc and I have 110v there ) im not really sure what next . attached is a photo of the pcb both sides I have no idea where to start with this !

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...xxQkwNNGupvYWP5Zg&sig2=wnum-fM5Q_nZbe_WvUECAw

Attached Files:

2. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    Are you sure that module needs 110VAC? I think it is expecting two DC inputs: one +ve (orange) for the hand, one +ve (blue) for the person, and a common (white).
    The link says
    "1. Verify input voltage is within specified range on the back of the LED signal module before
    installation. Failure to do so will cause lamp to fail."
    What is the specified range?

3. supermotolew

supermotolew

Oct 29, 2015
    Please see attached photo unless I'm going mad it's 110vac ?

Attached Files:

4. supermotolew

supermotolew

Oct 29, 2015
    Well actully I've put a meter on it and I'm putting 120 ac in

5. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    The label does confirm the 110VAC, unless you're missing a power brick (AC to DC adapter)? It's odd/confusing that the instructions refer to "+ Person" and "+ Hand" though.

6. supermotolew

supermotolew

Oct 29, 2015
    Nope nothing missing I'm just guessing but right at the inputs is a capacitor and a bunch of diodes well 4 I presume these conver to dc ? The capacitor is 100v 330uf I'm guessing this is the power part ? In the picture the 3 holes with metal rings is where power comes in.

7. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir supermotolew . . . . .

Years ago I talked an installation crew out of one of those which was highly damaged by a car knocking down its pole . . I just wanted to harvest its HIGH intensity LEDS but its other parts were also pulled and saved.

Yes, they do use small SMPS's on board, and are not too overly massive, due to the quite low power consumption of the unit.

"The capacitor is 100v 330uf " . . . . . .and we can assume that is being the giant center capacitor, but I was expecting more voltage headroom, unless there is a serious, yet planned, voltage drop from the 4 diiodes used in its FWB .up to that cap.

How about the voltage and capacitance on all of the marked RED dot caps and confirm if the GREEN square is a 3 Term Regulator by its part number and the BLUE dot fuse values.

And of those prior mentioned AC input "rings" , ohm them out as being connected to those fuses, with no blown fuses .

I never did like those units numerical displays . . . .with their HxW ratio deviating from the norm . . . being to heavy towards the H.

"It's odd/confusing that the instructions refer to "+ Person" and "+ Hand" though."

Its optional to only activate certain portions of the unit, with some creativity the hand can be altered to give the one finger salute ..

Techno Info:

[​IMG]

73's de Edd

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  8. supermotolew

supermotolew

Oct 29, 2015
    Many thanks 73's de Edd

That giant cap is 15000uf 35V the 110v 330 is in this picture attached in this post also here you can see the 3 metal input terminal holes. its missing in the first picture because I thought it was bad an I had one so I changed it anyway .
    ive checked all the blatant fuses here too . the other caps you have highlighted in red are 35v 470uf.
    the item in green is a 317mbg I believe.

thanks again for all your support !

Attached Files:

9. supermotolew

supermotolew

Oct 29, 2015
  10. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir supermotolew . . . . . .

Points of interest on another persons photo of that board:

I'll just dupe and mark up his board.

[​IMG]

I'm seeing the Raw AC line input at my top left corner WHITE rectangle where power is routed down to the optional activation of the formed LED clusters for the
    Stop-Walk Logos.
    The AC also goes to the right for the SMPS in the VIOLET Rectangle where a lower DC supply is generated, I think that you can read its value and/or meter its presence
    at its far right lower corners BROWN electrolytic cap.

Another SMPS resides in the lower left corners BLUE Rectangle.
    Not enough of a close up, for any definitive info, but looks like the central left edge cap would be the raw DC supply cap and the supply output voltage might be
    at the central BLUE electrolytic cap, or very likely the smaler brown one just below it , like it was on the previous supply

Now the board real estate has declined, to the point of having to utilize and stuff circuitry within the "eyes" of the 7 seg displays.

The bottom left corner ORANGE has the huskiest of the supplies which is probably the power sourcing for the 4 LEDs and 3 LEDs banks of the 7 segments

The right bottom corner is inductive and capacitive filtering with an additional mini D pak adjustable three terminal regulator, which I believe we had discussed before.

The top left corner LIME GREEN provided space for a few discrete component along with two YELLOW optical isolators for interfacing.

The top right corner seems to be where the sequential count down logic magic seems to reside, as I see a u/p and its clock crystal to the right of that chip.
    I have made a partition of that rectangle, as in the myriad of solder pads below, I see no jumper wires installed , no IC installed below them,or to the left of that vacant IC,
    seems like there are no xstrs or resistors installed on any of that myriad of solder pads ?
    I am also curious as to what the black ? is just to the far left of the top u/p IC.
    At its side is the marking of TM? . . . .if being TMS it would associate with that IC to the right IF it is a Texas Instruments device.
    Then it looks like it says "Do not move" or "Do not force" stamped on board just below that, if the latter it must be a connector, possibly for that serial
    data inputs timing signal from the outside traffic controller .

All in all , it looks like the other person only came on board with his white wiring to access the LED planes of the 7 segment displays.
    All of the timing functions and segment drive then being done separately on HIS board.
    But with knowledge of the u / p onboard , it probably was intended be triggered once from the external traffic controller box to start its own
    generated countdown seguencing to zero, with there probably being one other input variance, in being able to set the initial count level to start at.
    Like . . . . . . counting down from 15 seconds or 20 seconds or 30 seconds or . . . . . .

That's the way I am seeing it.

73's de Edd

Ask a Question