Connect with us

Please Help! Power Box Project

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Ryan Owers, Oct 13, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Ryan Owers

Ryan Owers

Oct 13, 2014
    Hi ok im a newbie to electronics im trying to build a charging station for fishing as i'm on the bank for up to a week at a time I have a 12v 7amp Lead battery and would like to connect all my connections to it inside a box which are the following:-

1. Rocker Switch with built in light + - (a connector is not needed from the rocker switch as i have a light built in to switch)
    2. DC 12v Cigarette Outlet + - ( For Charging phones / tablets etc. via USB Cig Connector)
    3. DC Power Connector (Female) (Charging Inlet / Outlet) I have a 12v 700A trickle charger for the Lead Battery already which i have converted to a DC Power Adapter (Male)

All the + Feeds have an inline fuse ready ( I have a inline fuse from the batteries positive connector)

What i need to know is how to connect all the items above and the battery with the on off switch. I did noticed the battery was losing power on the off and on switch? I just want to get it all running and together.

Thanks for your time hope you can help me! Frustrated :(

Attached Files:

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Essentially it all gets connected in series.

• One side of the battery to one end of the fuse.
    • The other end of the fuse to one side of the switch
    • The other side of the switch to one terminal of the cigarette outlet
    • The other terminal of the cigarette outlet to the remaining terminal of the battery.
    The only thing you need to be sure of is getting the cigarette outlet around the right way. If it has terminals marked +ve and -ve, then ensure that the final connection above is like to like -- so if the remaining terminal of the battery is -ve, make sure it is connected to the terminal on the socket marked as -ve.

3. Ryan Owers

Ryan Owers

Oct 13, 2014
    Thanks Steve i think i've got what your saying there, so in series do you mean connecting all the +'s together and all the -'s together?

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    NO!!!!!!

Connect things in series. Like a circle with each part "holding hands" with the parts on either side of it.

socket.png

5. Ryan Owers

Ryan Owers

Oct 13, 2014
    Right!!! Got it! Thanks mate!! ;- )

Ask a Question