Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Please help me identify this diode....

A

Amolao

Jan 1, 1970
I need a replacement for a diode used on a nissan gauge cluster, when you hold the diode vertically you see M1 and while rotating the diode there is also a dot ( . ) and then 80...

this is the best way I can explained it .....

thanks

I guess is some kind of SMD marking...

B

Bradley1234

Jan 1, 1970
Is the diode supposed to be there?? Is it factory? either its a generic diode that would be rated about 1Amp and 400V, or it has some precise application like a Zener to regulate voltage for something.

I searched a bit and couldnt find any variation of M1 and 80, maybe you could find the schematic in the Nissan factory service manual, NOT the Chiltons

Why do you need to replace it?

I need a replacement for a diode used on a nissan gauge cluster, when you hold the diode vertically you see M1 and while rotating the diode there is also a dot ( . ) and then 80...

this is the best way I can explained it .....

thanks

I guess is some kind of SMD marking...

A

Amolao

Jan 1, 1970
Yes this is a factory diode, goes in the back of the gauge cluster use on the nissan 240SX models. There is only 4 diodes and a resistor on the back of the cluster. The diodes control the illumination path on the car and cluster lights. I have the factory nissan manual and it does not show any identification for electronic components on the schematics. Just the basic name,i.e. relay, diode,etc
The diagram uses the symbol for a standard diode, not a zener....
The reason I replaced it (I have another cluster I use for parts....and used those diodes..) Is because my driving lights will stay on constantly....even with the light switch off......traced it to the cluster and found two diodes that were shorted, I replaced them and problem solved....but will like to find a replacement for new ones so I can have spares....

B

Bradley1234

Jan 1, 1970
I see. So if the diagram shows they are simple diodes, it should be fine to get generics from someplace that sells them like an electronics store, or from Digikey or that kind of place

Auto circuits have to withstand heavy voltage spikes, due to things like mechanical switch contacts and the solenoid in the starter. So maybe use 5 Amp, 1000V and it should be okay?

Sometimes companies will have their own parts made for a batch of something, so whether its Panasonic or whichever JAPANESE company Nissan used for their diode, you may not be able to cross the part because it wasnt made for public sale
Yes this is a factory diode, goes in the back of the gauge cluster use on the nissan 240SX models. There is only 4 diodes and a resistor on the back of the cluster. The diodes control the illumination path on the car and cluster lights. I have the factory nissan manual and it does not show any identification for electronic components on the schematics. Just the basic name,i.e. relay, diode,etc
The diagram uses the symbol for a standard diode, not a zener....
The reason I replaced it (I have another cluster I use for parts....and used those diodes..) Is because my driving lights will stay on constantly....even with the light switch off......traced it to the cluster and found two diodes that were shorted, I replaced them and problem solved....but will like to find a replacement for new ones so I can have spares....