Connect with us

Please help identify old Cutler Hammer circuit breaker

Discussion in 'Electrical Engineering' started by cfjwang, Sep 21, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. cfjwang

    cfjwang Guest

    I bought a very old house and have difficulty finding a replacement circuit
    breaker. The control panel is labeled as Cutler Hammer. The closest
    circuit breaker I can find locally is shown at the top of . The bottom part is the
    one I am trying to replace. It has a notch on one side. There is metal bar
    inside the control panel that prevents the CH130 from being plugged in,
    while the notch on the old circuit breaker allows for the insertion. (The
    metal bar is shown in the lower middle part of

    Can anyone help me identify what type of circuit breaker this is and where I
    can buy these?

    Best regards,

  2. Doug Miller

    Doug Miller Guest

    Take it to a local electrical supply house (YellowPages, "Electic Equipment &
    Supplies) and ask for one like it. If they don't have it, they can order it,
    or tell you where to get it.
  3. SQLit

    SQLit Guest

    There is a Purple book available from CH/Eaton called the YES book. (Your
    Electrical Solutions)
    It shows all of the old Westinghouse and CH out of production equipment and
    the current product, if available. You need to find a CH/Eaton Sales office
    to get one or to do your research. A wholesale house might not know that
    they even have the book.

    I used to work for them, but not in the residential parts. You MAY be faced
    with some options that are less desirable than just replacement.

    The other posters suggestion of going to the wholesale house is a good

  4. The Home Depot sells most single pole and some double pold CH-series of
    circuit breakers.

    But they're not going to be able to identify your mystery breaker, just
    offer a suitable replacement, e.g. one of the CH-series they have. So
    you better know what amperage you want ahead of time.

  5. Your circuit breaker is of the Cutler-Hammer CH series. The newer ones
    are of the BR series. The older ones CH series. They don't make boxes
    that use them any longer, but still produce CH breakers as replacements.

    I forgot to add, your mystery breaker, seems to me like a "CH-Series
    compatible" breaker. In other words, a clone. There are a few vendors
    of "compatible" breakers, look-alikes. I think that is what yours is.
    A CH-clone. The way I'm able to tell is the hole in the lever, and the
    notch in the side, and the uncovered hook at the bottom. However it's
    DEFINATELY a CH breaker. A CH-series breaker will work great, as it's a
    genuine article. All you have to do is figure out the amperage now, but
    it's probably written on the front of the switch lever.

    Please let me know if anything I've said is helpful to you.
  6. RBM

    RBM Guest

    Anthony, you're way off the mark. He has an old "ch" and a new "ch" both
    made by Cutler Hammer.. The " BR" now made by Cutler Hammer was the old
    Bryant circuit breakers and are completely dissimilar to the "ch"
  7. cfjwang

    cfjwang Guest

    local electrical supply house (YellowPages, "Electic Equipment &
    Did that before posting. Home Depot, Lowes and other people in the trade
    suggested Platt (the largest electric supplier in Seattle area). But nobody
    in Platt had an answer. Also tried ETA (Internet search on its catelog),
    eBay, etc. No good result.

  8. cfjwang

    cfjwang Guest

    Did all above. No good answer.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day