Connect with us

Playstation 2 console (joystick port repair)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by iceman_, Aug 18, 2013.

1. iceman_

iceman_

Aug 18, 2013
    Hi guys! I'm new to the forum and I'm wondering if you could give me some advice on how to repair my console.

So when I start the console and insert some game into the disk drive, when it loads it says "Please insert controller in port 1". The problem is that I have two joysticks (both for ps1) and none of them really works. It should work because the joysticks from the older version (ps1) are compatible with ps2. On top of that they are already tested on ps1 and they work well. I even went to the store to test it with ps2 joysticks (they are not original) - same problem. It didn't detect any joystick.
    I opened the console and measured the voltage on each pin for port1 & port 2 (they are 9 on each). So I found that on pin 6 (port 1) the voltage is 0.5 when on port 2 it's standard 3.5 V, same as almost all other pins.
    Maybe this could be the problem?

Here is the full pinout diagram: http://pinouts.ru/Game/playstation_9_pinout.shtml
    Btw I checked the data cable which connects the ports to the mainboard and it seems ok. Maybe I should plug it out and then plug it in?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  2. eKretz

eKretz

Apr 8, 2013
    Check the voltage at the main board and see if it is good there, then you'll know if it's a cable/connection issue or something deeper.

3. iceman_

iceman_

Aug 18, 2013
    Yeah, the voltage on the pins is around 3.5 V. Also the red diode indicator is emitting light, so it comes to show that the joystick is powered-on. Still "no joystick inserted in slot 1". Maybe after all this information about how ps1 and ps2 joysticks are compatible is fake and the console fails to recognize it somehow?

4. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Do you have an oscilloscope?
    Look at the pinout you linked and take a look at the number of clock and data pins.

Leave the black probe on Pin4

Set your meter to DC and measure Pin5, not 6..
    Also confirm that the PS2 is providing power on Pin3.
    You can measure Pin6, it should be high unless the PS2 is attempting to talk to a controller then it will be low. So your previous response sound like it is operating properly.

This will be trickier... You need to open a controller, or the PS2 and measure the pins while the PS2 is ON and a controller is connected.
    Measure Pins 1 2 7 9.
    Pin 7 will be a low reading but should not be 0, and pins 9 will be even lower IF the controller is responding. (otherwise is 0.
    Pins 1 and 2 will be between 0 or 3.3

These readings may give us some detail into which pins are transmitting data and which ones aren't. Have you tried your controllers on a different PS2?

Ask a Question