Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PlayStation 1 Import & Power-supply-board swapping. Very simple project / very simple question?

JunkRoom

Jul 11, 2015
To be honest I don't really know anything about electronics, which is probably why my questions must seem so confusing.

For instance, it confuses me why a board with a 200V capacitor would have a 250V fuse if connecting it to a 230V power supply fries the 200V capacitor (maybe because the voltage is exceeding the limits of capacitor without exceeding the fuses current rating?).

But I guess that's kind of beside the point.

Really all I'm trying to ascertain is whether it's okay to swap the U.S. and Japanese power boards for U.K. power boards, but I don't know enough about the subject to ask the questions I need to ask to answer that question. It seems that given my inability to identify data relevant to the question there are just too many variables that would need to be accounted for for it to be worth anyone's time.

I know you suggested posting photos and I've been trying to narrow down which boards etc. I would need to photo but it just seems there are too many boards, too many combinations and too many variables for it to really be viable.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
It depends where the 200v capacitor is on the board.!!
I will guess that in this case the 200v cap is on a 110v power supply and has a 250v fuse?
I have answered the fuse part.
The cap part is easy too, 110v board! so a higher rating of cap too. Implying the 110v power supply.
As the voltage from the transformer on the power supply changes/reduces the voltage to say 12v, the caps on that board will be something like 25v.
If it's a 5v power supply, the caps might be 16v....etcetc.

You cannot have a 220v supply with 110v fuse and 35v caps.
But you CAN have 110v supply with 220v fuse and 200v caps.

I am really trying to make this easy for you.

Martin

JunkRoom

Jul 11, 2015
It's okay, not to worry. It's just not worth the fuss (I'm abandoning the project) but thanks.

JunkRoom

Jul 11, 2015
If anyone else might happen to already have the information I'm looking for, please do feel free to post?

I think trying to work it out from scratch, given my level of understanding, is probably futile but if someone on the forum does have experience with, specifically, import PS1s and power boards it would be most appreciated.

:0)