Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Pix

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Hi, Have been trying to upload a pic for my avator but not doing too well. Latest pic I offereed yesterday but result said 'upload failed' , no explanation! Wot am I doing wrong?:confused:
Deigh

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi Deigh

now assuming you wentto the USER CP buttonup near the top left
and in there selected the second choice down the left ... Edit Profile Picture
in there you have 2 choices upload from a www site and upload from your computer

note... keep the physical and kb sizes within the limits stated

Dave

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Hi there Deigh.
You have two options in your user cp settings, an avatar the small picture like my red / yellow swirl RF mast, and the other a profile picture.

If ive got this next bit right you can browse your pc files for a suitable avatar and profile picture, or just one or the other, or both, or opt for none.

The picture you see on the forum posts can be the avatar or profile picture, there is a size limit in kilo bytes, so you might need to crop the image, i did mine in picasa.

Click the browse link, then go down to save changes at the bottom of the page, if you exeed the limit size the link tells you, and in that case you will need to reduce is resolusion size, if ive got any of that wrong i expect another member could jump in.

If you click my user name, then view my public profile your see my profile picture, its the good looking guy, haha, my avitar i use on the forum boards. :)

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
hi Deigh

now assuming you wentto the USER CP buttonup near the top left
and in there selected the second choice down the left ... Edit Profile Picture
in there you have 2 choices upload from a www site and upload from your computer

note... keep the physical and kb sizes within the limits stated

Dave

Yeah, thanks, I did all that and the pix appears in the box on my page but it is not acceptable to the forum. It does appear to be within the specifications.
but will take it back to Picasa, drop its size a bit then try again.

:confused::confused:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
when you say not acceptable... what do you mean ?
do you get an error message ?
I find .GIF or .JPG work the best
I use gif files for circuit drawings, they are usually less than 10 kb often less than 5kb
for actual photos of gear use jpg and do some compression, get then down to below 100kb and preferably below 60kb, that makes them quicker to upload, and also for people viewing them in a thread. and as i said in the first post get them down to q smaller physical size 640 x 480 is excellent.

have a practice uploading in this thread so you can get it right before doing pic posts in the main forums :)
I assume you clicked on the "Go Advanced" button ?
that then gives you the "Manage Attachments" button to click on and open the small upload window.
upload your file from your puter then close that small window.
type some random text in the reply window and click "Submit Reply" button, your pic will be as a thumbnail at the bottom of your posted reply.
lets get to that stage first before telling you how to show the full sized image within the post....

so in this post I will just put the thumbnail that ppl would click on to see the full sized image

Attachments

• Typical LED Forward Voltages.gif
    Typical LED Forward Voltages.gif
    10.7 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
when you say not acceptable... what do you mean ?
do you get an error message ?
I find .GIF or .JPG work the best
I use gif files for circuit drawings, they are usually less than 10 kb often less than 5kb
for actual photos of gear use jpg and do some compression, get then down to below 100kb and preferably below 60kb, that makes them quicker to upload, and also for people viewing them in a thread. and as i said in the first post get them down to q smaller physical size 640 x 480 is excellent.

I kept returning to Picassa and dropping the size which automatically drops the kb. The size is now below 2kb.
I then went through the routine of installing it and the pic appeared in the screen in the right place but when I tick the box to save changes an error message comes up saying 'upload failed'.
The pic is still there in my page but obviously not in the forum.
:eek:

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Hi Deigh.
I think its the avatar edit that allows your forum picture.
I had the same problem after clicking save changes, you only need click it once, but there is nothing saying picture saved, it just does it. :)
PS, A second click of save changes says error image not saved, well thats what happened to me.

Last edited: