Connect with us

PIR sensor

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by Anders, May 12, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Anders

Anders

May 12, 2015
    Hey

I am new to eletronic. I want to know if PIR sensors only detec chage in temperature as example peopele or animal?.

I want to make a sensor that can detec when i drop something from the air. It only has to detect within a radius of 1 m.

2. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Will there be anything else in motion within the area?
    Will the object be dropped in an exact location, or a region?

There are certainly way better sensors you can use.
    -Pressure plate, or piezo element for a 'landing pad'.
    -Microphone to detect the sound made by impact.
    -Optical (Break-beam or reflective) to detect the object passing by a plane.
    -Camera (With image recognition) to detect only the object you want tracked falling.
    -Accelerometer or Shake Sensor within the object being dropped.

Can you give us more details?

3. Anders

Anders

May 12, 2015
    There will not be anything within the motion area execpt for "low light" - the sensor will have to be placed in dark" and the thing being droped, which the sensor have to detect. And it would not land on an exact spot, but on a plane (a floor).

Witch sesnor is most energy efficient, and which do you think would be the best?

4. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    What is the object being dropped?
    There is no 'best' sensor unless we have all the info.
    You could still use any of the sensors I mentioned previously.
    If it's dark, and the object is light, I would use an optical sensor. (Reflective) so that when the object passes in the observed area, an IR LED lights it up, and a detector detects it.

5. Anders

Anders

May 12, 2015
    The object is a paper in all kind of colours

6. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    I would be surprised if PIR can do that reliably.
    An optical break-beam sensor would be ideal in my opinion. You would need to either setup mirrors, or use multiple detectors along the perimeter of your area. When any of the detectors no longer pick up light from the emitter(s) then you know something is blocking the way.

Ask a Question