Connect with us

PIR operated DC motor project odd behaviour help

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by spyder9, Feb 15, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. spyder9

spyder9

Feb 15, 2017
    Exactly as you predicted
    12v before i short them
    And 0 when i short them,also motor starts turning when i short them and both LED-s are lit.

Ivan

2. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    You forgot #(5). It's important! Also, is it timing out as it should?

Chris

3. spyder9

spyder9

Feb 15, 2017
    It rises to 12v as soon as i open the short
    It shows 8-9v and than 12v on DMM.
    Yes, timer is set to turn off motor after 2-3 seconds

4. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    No surprises there, so something else is amiss. Logically it would point to the 2N2222 basing. Please post a clear photo of the GSM - 2N2222 - Timer interface.

BTW, why are you testing this with the timer's timeout set to only 2 seconds? I would think that the GSM's vibrator output has a pulse width of at least one to 2 seconds each time it (goes high) rings.

Chris

5. spyder9

spyder9

Feb 15, 2017
    Here are the pics
    if there are any details left out i will take more pictures
    this is only wiring for testing
    finished this will look much better

Attached Files:

6. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    Despite the fact that using all black wires is bad practice (the source of many "Oh sh!t" moments) I don't see anything wrong there. Admittedly, my old eyes suck!

Measure the voltage between the base and emitter while it's ringing. It should swing from near 0.0V to ~ .65V upon each ring.

Chris

7. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    A thought..... Have you ever measured the vibrator output voltage with the vibrator motor disconnected? I'm taking an educated guess that you'll find it doesn't drop to 0.0V when not loaded. If so connect the vibrator motor and test the timer again.

Chris

8. spyder9

spyder9

Feb 15, 2017
    I never used vibrator motor,i disconnected it straight away,only used the wires,and i dont have that tiny motor anymore,can i use resistor instead ?

measured base-emiter voltage,0.64 constant when it is not ringing and 0-0-7 pulses when it is ringing

Ivan

9. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    That is contrary to what you posted earlier. If the base -emitter junction never goes to 0V then it's not logical that the vibrator output does. What does the vibrator output measure when not ringing?

Yes, a resistor would be better. Better yet,.. do you have a Red LED? If so connect the LED in series with the 1KΩ base resistor. The ~1.9V drop of the LED will probably solve the problem. Anode to GSM ringer (+) and Cathode to the 1K.

FYI: A DMM is not a reliable instrument for measuring transient DC voltages. Oscilloscopes are used for such.

Chris

Ask a Question