Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Pioneer vsx 7300

MDZZLL281

Jan 7, 2010
Just got this reciever and the red light on the volume knob comes on but has no display on the led part of the reciever.any help would be much obliged.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Does it work otherwise?
You said led, but maybe you meant lcd?
If lcd, can you see anything at all at certain angles?
If so, it may just be lacking backlight; a bulb might need replacement.
If none of the above; you may have to spend money on a service manual.

PV9685

Nov 20, 2010
Mine has a similar issue where the display will illuminate at times but not at others. I had not put any time into this amp though now I am doing so because truth be told - the Amplifier section of this receiver is top notch! I may use it for my two fronts and skip all the preamp stuff. Should be a great stereo receiver for you though!

Here's why mine was/is broken (will solder today). Remove the main cover of the unit. Pull the volume know straight off the receiver, disconnect the little two-pin connector underneath, unscrew the nut holding the volume-knob-shaft on. Unscrew the four screws holding the entire front panel to the chassis. Oh, forgot - cut the zip-tie that holds the ribbon cables together and pull the slack on the Headphone ribbon cable so you can twist the whole front display upward. When you pull the front display out you will need to un-wedge the two little black wires that go to the volume knob's red light.

You made it this far, yay! Now I will save you time. I unclipped/unscrewed the whole PCB for the front, which is annoying to do and will probably kill some of the solder points. Instead, simply look at the TWO solder points in the uppermost corners of each side of the LCD Display section. These failed on mine. Resolder both sides (even though my right-side looked good.. resolder). Hopefully this is the problem with yours. Looks to be a common failure due to the rigidity of the LCD panel. Just because it illuminates doesn't mean all is well - make sure EVERYTHING lights - there are bad solders that stop MOST of mine from lighting... and then there is another portion that stops certain parts like the BASS/TREBLE level from illuminating.

I could tell you how mine works after I solder it but I guarantee it will be 100%! I can tell because I could twist the chassis beforehand and it would work, try twisting the hole chassis before you pull it apart and see if you get light. might work. my guess is the twisting is what broke the solder in the first place... well obviously it was if it reconnects when I twist it. Poor design unfortunately on that part.

BTW I know this post is 10 months old but the receiver is 21 years old so this probably can't be too late. I hope you are like me - when you get an expensive piece of electronics you throw it in the basement until the fix is cheap or well documented ;)