Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Pioneer VSX-1120-K thinks headphones are plugged in

IronRakkasan

May 25, 2013
My son went to turn on the receiver one day and got a pretty good shock. Now the receiver says there are headphones plugged in. There is no more sound except if we plug in headphones.

I have tried resetting it to factory defaults several times with no luck.

Does anyone have a suggestion on where to start?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If he got a shock from it, there are several possibilities:

1) it was a static discharge from him to the device, and he may have damaged it. If a reset to defaults doesn't fix it, you need to get it seen to by someone who services these things.

2) if it was actually an electric shock, then you need to unplug it from the mains and not use it until someone discovers why your son got a shock. Again, getting it seen to by someone who services them it the best bet.

If you're experienced enough to fix either of these problems yourself, you almost certainly wouldn't have asked the question.

The first option will be hard or impossible to fix, the second one is a very dangerous thing and I wouldn't suggest you even try.

IronRakkasan

May 25, 2013
If he got a shock from it, there are several possibilities:

1) it was a static discharge from him to the device, and he may have damaged it. If a reset to defaults doesn't fix it, you need to get it seen to by someone who services these things.

2) if it was actually an electric shock, then you need to unplug it from the mains and not use it until someone discovers why your son got a shock. Again, getting it seen to by someone who services them it the best bet.

If you're experienced enough to fix either of these problems yourself, you almost certainly wouldn't have asked the question.

The first option will be hard or impossible to fix, the second one is a very dangerous thing and I wouldn't suggest you even try.

It was a static shock. I was hoping replacing a board or even removing the headphone jack would solve the problem.

There are no service centers within two hours of me and the two places I called to ship it to both said it would be cheaper to buy a new one. We don't have the money to replace it so I was hoping to turn it in to a DIY project.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If you're really lucky, the problem might be mechanical and the "shock" at the time of failure was just a coincidence.

A mechanical failure (broken socket or broken wire) is easier to fix.

IronRakkasan

May 25, 2013
If you're really lucky, the problem might be mechanical and the "shock" at the time of failure was just a coincidence.

A mechanical failure (broken socket or broken wire) is easier to fix.

Any suggestions on where to start. Was thinking about opening it up tonight.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Open it up and look at the headphone socket. See if there's anything obviously wrong. Take some pictures, post them. We'll take a look too.

Don't get your hopes up just yet.

IronRakkasan

May 25, 2013
Open it up and look at the headphone socket. See if there's anything obviously wrong. Take some pictures, post them. We'll take a look too.

Don't get your hopes up just yet.

Ok finally was able to get a few minutes to open it up. Other than the obvious dust bunnies I didn't see anything wrong......then I went snooping around..

Yeah I broke the wire cable coming out of the phone jack like an idiot. We don't use headphones so its no great loss but still the receiver thinks headphones are plugged in.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Aha!

In that case, you'll have to fix the wires because it sounds like it uses them to detect the headphones.

If you can't figure which one goes where then post a picture and maybe we can help.

Oh, and it sounds like you're having a lucky day.

IronRakkasan

May 25, 2013
Aha!

In that case, you'll have to fix the wires because it sounds like it uses them to detect the headphones.

If you can't figure which one goes where then post a picture and maybe we can help.

Oh, and it sounds like you're having a lucky day.

Unfortunately nothing changed when the wiring came out of the headphone board. I was s o hoping the issue was on that end. It would seem that the problem is on the other end of that wiring cable.

I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures still. If I can figure it out I throw up some pictures tonight.