Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Pioneer radio wire harness questions

alexp1289

May 1, 2018
Pioneer avh-x7500bt

Hey guys I have a question for those of you that are more knowledgeable than I am. I bought a new car which is a 2015 Chevy Spark LS. I took my Pioneer radio that I had in my old car which I'm perfectly happy with and I'm going to put it in my new car. I've already ordered the correct wire harness adapter, antenna adapter and dash kit for my new car. The only issue that I've run into is when I was disconnecting the wire harness from the old car wire harness adapter I do not have enough wire to solder to the new wire harness adapter safely so I had to buy a replacement wire harness for the Pioneer radio so that I don't have to buy a completely new radio. This new aftermarket Pioneer wire harness has all of the correct color wires but it doesn't have the fused resistors or the electrical noise filter that goes on the ground and constant 12 volt source wire (the yellow wire). Where can I get replacement fused resistors that I can solder to my new Pioneer harness or can I use regular fuses and solder those to it. Is there a place that I can get a new electrical noise filter and in line fuses to solder to the aftermarket replacement harness? Do I even need the fused resistors or will my car electrical system protect the radio just fine? I know I should have left more slack when doing the initial install on my old car lesson learned so help me recover from this.

Just to clarify I'm talking about the 16 pin wire harness that plugs into the back of the Pioneer radio.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Fused resistors????

AFAIAA the only protection a car radio has is the in-line fuse. There may be some added 'filtering' in the form of in-line chokes but these aren't 'protective' as such and not strictly necessary.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
In case you don't know, wire harness kits are widely available for what you did.
(Remove a Pioneer radio from your old car and install it in your new Chevy)
They can be purchased on-line, or from a car radio install shop.
You tell 'em your vehicle and radio make, and for $10 or $15, you've got everything you need.