Connect with us

Piezo To Detect Sound

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Rajinder, Aug 14, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Rajinder

Rajinder

Jan 30, 2016
    Hi,
    I am considering a project where i can use a piezo buzzer to detect sound rather than using a mic. I have seen different types of piezo buzzers, some with 2 wires and some with 3 wire. I think that the 3 wire has an additional feedback signal. Not sure.

Is this a possibility? I am trying to detect vibrations as if someone is trying to smash a glass or window i.e. security for the home.

Does anyone have any ideas on how this can be done. I was thinking piezo , with a pre-amplifier, peak detector and then comparator into a microcontroller.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Best regards,
    raj

2. Sunnysky

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
    a buffered piezo mic = std. electret mic has the better EMI immunity. Use that instead.

3. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    Also recommend an electret mic cartridge over a piezo disc.

And - if you talk with the people who make glass break detectors for home and commercial security systems, you lean stuff. For example, there is a large, very-low-frequency component to the sound of glass breaking, and that is the signature these detectors use so they don't false-trip on normal room sounds.

ak

4. Rajinder

Rajinder

Jan 30, 2016
    ok thanks for your assistance. so an electret mic, amplifier and comparator or similar woul ddo the trick?

5. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    That is the basic signal path to start. You probably will wind up adding filters or a rate limiter.

ak

6. Colin Mitchell

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
    We use a piezo as a contact mic to hear right through glass with our wall bug transmitter. A bit tinny but as clear as a bell.

7. cl10Greg

cl10Greg

Mar 20, 2014
    Usually goes mic -> filter -> amplifier -> comparator. If you have the filter after the amplifier, you also amplify the noise

8. Herschel Peeler

Herschel Peeler

Feb 21, 2016
    How low a low frequency component?

9. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    1 Hz-ish

Ask a Question