Connect with us

Piezo electricity

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by mithunvtk, Aug 16, 2011.

1. mithunvtk

mithunvtk

Aug 16, 2011
    hello friends I am newer to this site.
    I am doing a project as a part of my Bsc physics course.
    My topic is piezo electricity.....By laying piezo materials on roads, from the pressure by vehicles electricity can be produced which canbe used for various purposes.
    I need some components.But these are not available in my place..
    can anybody help me to get these??Anybody know where these can be available.
    1) Diode- 1N5820
    2) Znere- BZX85-C2V7
    3) IC- MAX1675
    Can anybody give an equivalent circuit instead of this IC?

2. davelectronic

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
    RE components

Hi and welcome
    I had to Google your location to see where it is, i did not have a clue, must brush up on my geographical skills.

As of your location i don't know of any electronic components manufacturers / distributors where you are, there are many around the world from here where iam in the UK to the USA and Australia, most company stock the items your looking for, and will ship them to you, at cost.
    Have you googled where your location is to see if there is something more close to where you are ? i can put up some links if you have a preference where the components come from, IE shipping is cheaper if not so far away, there may also be forum links on the main home page, to be honest ive not looked yet, i did not need to, if you turn up no luck i can give some links to a couple of company's. Dave. :)

3. mithunvtk

mithunvtk

Aug 16, 2011
    thanks for the reply.
    Well I am from India..
    I have looked at some major cities here for these...But couldnt find any.
    I had googled for online shopping .But it seems to be very huge amount for the shipping.

4. davelectronic

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
    Components supplys

Hi again
    I can only suggest a supplier close to you, a good one from the UK is in a link below, you could email them, i believe there prices are good, and shipping for light goods 1kg or less not a big amount to ship to you. Dave. PS link below. :)

http://www.esr.co.uk/

Click components on there list and download there latest PDF file of components, all other electronics is on the selectable tabs on the home page. :)

Under 2kg is £10.00 UK currency, i would go up to the weight limit to make it worth the shipping cost, your need to convert your curenccy to UK pound sterling, should be easy enough, 2kg of components is a lot of components.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  5. mithunvtk

mithunvtk

Aug 16, 2011
    thanks for ur valuable help...
    let me try this....

6. Externet

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
  7. mithunvtk

mithunvtk

Aug 16, 2011
    oh......i didnt know that.
    But we are just showing the possibility....just by creating a model..So i thing i wont be a problem.
    Anyway thank you very much

8. rootboy

rootboy

Aug 26, 2011
    Well, unprotected piezos would be destroyed... You could say the same about a wheatstone bridge, until you embed it in a load cell.

Clever idea, actually.

9. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The only problem is that using moving vehicles to generate power is effectively generating power from burning fossil fuels, and burning them very inefficiently.

There are some exceptions, if you place these devices on the descent slope of a large hill, you are capturing energy that would otherwise be dissipated by the brakes.

Another consideration is the effect on the suspension of vehicles. Will the amount of power captured exceed the cost in additional wear and tear on suspension.

10. rootboy

rootboy

Aug 26, 2011
    Well, what kind of fuel is used to propel the vehicle across the device never did come up with the OP. Can I go green and assume electric? :)

I would envision a channel cut at 90 degrees to the roadway where the piezo power strip would be laid and cemented into place. Then it could be covered with asphalt to match the existing roadway.

So, zero additional road resistance and no additional wear and tear on vehicles..

I still like it. :)

11. Merlin3189

Merlin3189

Aug 4, 2011
    Ummmmm?
    If no resistance, where's the energy coming from?
    I think you may be under the misapprehension that no work is done on a Piezo crystal when you compress it. You obviously have to apply a force, and the crystal has to deform, even if very slightly: that's work. If some of the potential energy stored in the distorted crystal is then used to create a spark or drive electric current into your circuit, then when the crystal expands again, it does so with less force than it was compressed. So the car experiences some resistance as it squashes the road in front, but gets less of a push from the road behind as the road expands again. It's like driving on a soft surface instead of a hard one.
    But maybe your Piezo material could have the same resistance as the normal road surface, then you'd be right, no *additional* resistance.
    I think your problem is likely to be the magnitude problem: you can generate some electric energy, but the amount is so minute that it's not worth bothering.
    If the resistance of your new surface is the same as the original tarmac (or whatever), then the electric energy you generate can be no more than the energy that is currently dissipated as heat in the tarmac. I don't think that's very much.

12. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    There are places where something like this does make sense.

I gave one example of the bottom of a hill where you can save wear and tear on the brakes of vehicles.

Another example is where you have traffic control devices (speed bumps) and where you could use the compression of these to extract energy. It would be better to do this hydraulically rather than with a piezo device. If done carefully, you could have them go almost flat for large vehicles (saving them the problems of going over these devices) but remain mostly standing up for smaller vehicles

As Merlin says. If you're extracting energy, it has to come from somewhere. And one of the *worst* sources is mobile internal combustion devices...

13. rootboy

rootboy

Aug 26, 2011
    Yeah, I was being careful by stating "no additional" resistance. :D

And cars do compress the road surface, however minutely, as they travel on the road. The amount of energy harvested would be small, but for remote areas where you might want to power something that was sufficiently low powered it might make sense.

And realistically, you wouldn't encase it in asphalt, you would probably mount it flush with the roadway but have a metal cover that flexed as a vehicle passed over it. Then it would be a matter of seeing how many piezos you could put in one unit.

But here's a thought, why not do the same thing on the bottoms of railroad rails? They flex quite a bit, and there are easily over a hundred sets of rail trucks that go over a given spot each time a normal length train passes by.

And if you need more power, add another set to the bottom of the rail between the next set of ties.

Ask a Question