Connect with us

Piezo-charger

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Zarain, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Zarain

Zarain

Nov 10, 2017
    I used piezo transducer disk and generates enough voltage (20V), it was measured on a 1000uF which is connected to the rectifier from the disk.

Piezo-rectifier-filter capacitor (1000uF) .

But when I connected it to the 5V regulator which is connected to the powerbank the powerbank does not charging even just for a second. Why?

2. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    'Power' also known as 'energy'.

The energy content of a piezo generated voltage is minuscule (tiny, negligible etc). Your test meter requires just μA to measure the voltage - it's simply not enough to do anything (useful) with.

3. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    A piezo can provide a high voltage (V) but very little current (I); hence little energy (E = I x V x time).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2017
  4. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    Incorrect. Power is the rate at which energy is used. A watt-second (power multiplied by time) is a joule (energy). The piezo transducers of practical sizes do not produce enough energy (joules) to sustain an appreciable amount of power (watts) delivery.

kellys_eye likes this.
  5. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    I used the words volts and amps in quotes for a reason but thanks for clarifying that for the OP....

6. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    Yes, the remainder of your comment was spot on.

It is remotely possible that some natural large deposits of quartz, or other piezoelectric crystals, could respond to large stresses, such as may be encountered during an earthquake, with significant production of power... during the duration of the 'quake anyway. One of the few practical and widespread uses of piezoelectricity today is the ubiquitous "push to light" spark ignition found on common gas cooking grills. At one time (in the distant past) PZT crystals were used as cheap phonograph needle transducers. I believe there is still some use today as self-generating strain gauges for instrumentation purposes. But use them for powerbank recharging? Not in your wildest dreams, Power Ranger!

darren adcock likes this.
  7. Audioguru

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
    They placed thousands of piezos on a sidewalk and rectified their output then charged a battery. After thousands of people walked on the piezos then the battery charge lighted a little LED for an hour.
    I think many rectified piezos can power a modern low current watch.

Ask a Question