Connect with us

PID Controller from Antiquated IPAQ 4150

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by RJK, Jun 17, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. RJK

RJK

Jun 17, 2014
    I have an old HP IPAQ 4150 that still works but has been replaced by newer, more sophisticated technology. I hate the idea of throwing it away and have been brainstorming the idea of using it as a PID controller for temperature control during my homebrewing processes. The software component seems to be the easiest as there's plenty of programs online for free, but it's the actual construction that baffles me. I'm not electronically inclined so I bring this to you for thoughts and ideas. Where to begin? What is physically inside a PID? Can it be attached/built onto the existing IPAQ? What do I need? Is this even possible? I know it's probably cheaper to just buy an existing off the shelf controller, but what fun would that be? I'd greatly appreciate any help from anyone willing to take this on. Front Whole.jpg Back Whole.jpg

2. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    Hello and welcome to Electronics Point :)

The actual calculations involved in PID loops are not that complicated. You need to look into what input and output signals you will need, and how to get them into and out of your IPAQ.

I expect you will need at least one temperature monitoring device, and at least one heater element control, right? Does the IPAQ have any kind of I/O or expansion capability?

If not, you might be able to use the headphone output and microphone input with some external circuitry to convert from temperature to a variable pitched tone going into the microphone input (although this will only enable you to monitor one temperature sensor), and from a tone (presence or frequency) to a relay to control the heater.

If your IPAQ supports Bluetooth, you could use a generic Bluetooth I/O interfacing device - Google bluetooth i/o interface module.

Ask a Question