Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Picaxe/mcp23027 i/o exp interface circuit diagram

Devnode

Jul 13, 2015
Hi,Everyone. Can anyone help me with a circuit diagram for interfacing a picaxe 14m2 with a mcp23017 expander chip. Ive searched the web all over and found the code but no diagram. I want to add a 3x4 keypad and a 16x2 lcd but first i want connect the i/o exp to the mcu.
Anyone? Thanks.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
The mcp requires I2C Comms. I cant see the 14m2 supports I2C. This means writing your own code, I dont think this is possible for you sorry. Choose an mc that supports I2C is the best bet.
Thanks
Adam

Devnode

Jul 13, 2015
The mcp requires I2C Comms. I cant see the 14m2 supports I2C. This means writing your own code, I dont think this is possible for you sorry. Choose an mc that supports I2C is the best bet.
Thanks
Adam
Hi, Adam. Thanks for replying. Ifound the code for the mcu here: www.picaxeforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-26267.html . Is there no way one can build circuit for it? I have a 40x2 allso. Thanks so much.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Hi there. I dont know picaxe I am sorry. Looking at the code from the link I cant make out anything. Why do you choose picaxe out of interest.
Thanks
Adam

Devnode

Jul 13, 2015
Hi there. I dont know picaxe I am sorry. Looking at the code from the link I cant make out anything. Why do you choose picaxe out of interest.
Thanks
Adam
Hi, Adam. I was learning PIC when something went wrong with my Pickit. Now ihave to wait for the one ordered. Also a couple off 16F648 pics. As im new to all off this im trying the picaxe its been lying here since last year.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Ok that's fair enough. I can't help with the picaxe I am afraid. PIC assembler and C, then I maybe able to help. I have however had good success running I2C from a chipkit development PCB. I had is communication to an I2C bus in a few hours once I found the right code.
Adam

Devnode

Jul 13, 2015
Ok that's fair enough. I can't help with the picaxe I am afraid. PIC assembler and C, then I maybe able to help. I have however had good success running I2C from a chipkit development PCB. I had is communication to an I2C bus in a few hours once I found the right code.
Adam
Its allright, Adam. I wait for my stuff to arrive and ill know where to run if calamity strikes. Thanks a lot.

Devnode

Jul 13, 2015
A pity you did not see my " pickit 2 - won't write thread". Could've learned even more from THREE experts.!! Thanks again, man.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
A pity you did not see my " pickit 2 - won't write thread". Could've learned even more from THREE experts.!! Thanks again, man.

No probs, you know where we are, hope to see more of you on here.
Adam

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Hi, Adam. Thanks for replying. Ifound the code for the mcu here: www.picaxeforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-26267.html . Is there no way one can build circuit for it? I have a 40x2 allso. Thanks so much.
Hey Dev, I'm a bit late to the party but I gotta say that's some oddball code! The "Pause" function in PicaxeBasic is in milliseconds. The first task that code executes is "Do Nothing" for 8 full seconds! After that the subsequent code contains a bunch more long Pauses, including two 4 second pauses in what appears to be an indeterminate Do Loop??? There's enough pauses in there to make a uC forget what it is! :D

I'm wondering if that code was intended as a sort of (Get Your Feet Wet) tutorial?

Chris

Devnode

Jul 13, 2015
Hey Dev, I'm a bit late to the party but I gotta say that's some oddball code! The "Pause" function in PicaxeBasic is in milliseconds. The first task that code executes is "Do Nothing" for 8 full seconds! After that the subsequent code contains a bunch more long Pauses, including two 4 second pauses in what appears to be an indeterminate Do Loop??? There's enough pauses in there to make a uC forget what it is! :D

I'm wondering if that code was intended as a sort of (Get Your Feet Wet) tutorial?

Chris
Hi, Chris.
It probably was coz im still struggling with it. Made no progress as a matter of fact so i decided to take break for a while. See if i can come up with some other idea. You got one? Please share? Im desperate, believe me.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Dev, I've also been searching through the Picaxe forums and faq links in attempt to find the thread that your archived link points to. I did find the thread but the picaxe member failed to include a link to a tutorial he sights. Instead he posted this.. "Thanks for the westaust55 tutorial on the mcp23017!".

You can find the thread your link originated from Here but it is devoid of any useful info.

I posted a link request to the tutorial moments ago. Hopefully I'll get a reply soon.

Chris