Connect with us

Physics behind P-N Junction ?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Muhammad Usman, May 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Scroll to continue with content
  1. Muhammad Usman

Muhammad Usman

Jan 27, 2017
    Hi,

I was reading the PN junction. During the formation of PN junction, the diffusion process takes place in which the free electrons cross the boundary of the P-N and joined with the holes in the P-type to form the negative ion and holes on the N side cause positive ions. So, the P-side has negative ions and N-side has positive that constitutes the depletion region.

From doping we know there are other bulk free electrons in the N-type (Due to added impurity atom) and holes in the P-side. What I am not able to understand that why not the electron can join the N-side positive ions to make it neutral atom and secondly why not on P side electrons from negative ions electrons drift further away from the boundary to join with other holes and more electrons cross the deplition region. Why they always stay near the boundary (Depletion Region).

Best Regards

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009

you are getting good answers on the physics forum
    I think you should follow that one more closely rather than randomly posting on various forums across the internet

Thread closed

hevans1944 likes this.
Ask a Question