Connect with us

photographic strobe circuit?

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by NJM, Mar 20, 2007.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. NJM

    NJM Guest

    Would anyone know where I could find a photographic strobe schematic. I
    have done much searching, but can only find visual effect strobes, no
    photographic. I have found several sources for xenon tubes.
  2. They use a larger capacitor and manual, not automatic, triggering. Otherwise
    it's the same circuit.

    You'll need to go back about 20 or 30 years to find magazines or books with
    such circuits.
  3. Rich Grise

    Rich Grise Guest

    The schematic is pretty much the same, except for component values.
    Essentially, just a bigger storage cap, and a manual trigger instead of
    the oscillator.

    Good Luck!
  4. Ron M.

    Ron M. Guest

    Try here. It is a circuit from Tomi Engdahl from Finland. It has a
    manual input for single or multiple flashes depending on your control
  5. ehsjr

    ehsjr Guest

    You might be able to convert a disposable camera
    for that purpose. You can get them either real
    cheap or for nothing at places that offer film
    development service. Beware of the circuit inside
    when you open it up. There's a capacitor in there
    that holds a hefty charge - you need to discharge
    it before messing with the circuit.

  6. jasen

    jasen Guest

    Photographic strobe? do you mean a flash?

  7. Grostle News

    Grostle News Guest

    Here: Kodak disposable camera:

    Safety reminder: Don't forget about the main capacitor. It packs a
    wallop. Short/discharge that rascal before handling the circuit.

    You can sometimes purchase flash circuits like those from a disposable
    camera at surplus electronics sales online for under two dollars.

    This company might still be selling them:

  8. Ron M.

    Ron M. Guest

    Or you might just go to any camera shop that processes the film from
    the disposible cameras. They generally take the film out of the throw
    away cameras then ship them back to a recycling company. They will
    gladly give them to you to save the shipping costs. The best ones are
    the Kodak units with the yellow labels. I recently went to a Ritz
    camera shop and they were more than happy to give me 20 of them. I
    slipped the guy five bucks for his trouble and we were both happy.
  9. I have heard photographers use the word "strobe" to refer to a
    photoflash device.

    - Don Klipstein ()
  10. Lionel

    Lionel Guest

    A flash is powered by a low voltage that is multplied into a capacitor
    until the volage is high enough to power a xenon tube, & can't be
    flashed again until a new charge has built up. A strobe has a power
    supply big enough to flash the tube as often as the user wishes (but
    within the limits due to heating of the tube.)
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day