Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Photoelectric Sensor circuit

dml

Jun 24, 2015
Hi ,
Firstly I have very limited technical electronic/electrical knowledge......so please bear that in mind with your responses lol.

I need to make a basic circuit that will energize a solenoid on a pneumatic valve when the beam of a photoelectric sensor is broken, both the solenoid coil and the sensor are 24v dc. In my non electronic thinking brain i had thought that i could have a 24v supply connected to both the sensor and and a relay, then the switching of the sensor would pull in the relay thus energizing the solenoid please see crappy diagram attached.....but im sure its not that simple and i need some other electronic wizardry any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

The sensor i intend to use is:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/photoelectric-sensors/2192274/?origin=PSF_421348|cav
SENSOR.jpg

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Hi dml. Well I am afraid it is that simple, unless you want it to do something else. Welcome to EP btw. As long as the sensor can drive the relay you have chosen it should work. Also note that if the unit is not blocked most of the time the relay will be on wasting energy. If you want it the other way then you will need to invert the transistor output with a suitable NPN transistor and associated components. So when light is being detected the relay is off and comes on when the bean is blocked. I think you have too many connections in your drawing. The relay gets one +V connection from the power supply and one switch connection from the sensors output.
Adam

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
These sensors are $1.00 on eBay.
You need an amplifier (buffer) to drive the relay and a pot to set the conditions for the photo sensor.