Maker Pro
Maker Pro

photodiode help

johnzack

Jul 17, 2011
I saw this circuit on a website for a line sensor using a photodiode

The circuit is like this

VCC----1Kohm-----(output signal)-----photodiode------GND

But when I measure the output signal I always get Vcc(5V) , implying there is a 5V drop across the photodiode :confused:

Is there any mistake that you can point out?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The resistor looks like too small a value. The output will have a very high impedance and the change in voltage very small, so a multimeter will probably not be able to show it.

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
Photodiodes in current mode typically have small currents as signals; I have an IL1700 research radiometer and it measures currents from mA down to pA (IIRC; I'm too lazy to go find the manual); it's a general purpose tool for measuring photodiodes. However, you can also use them in voltage mode -- just connect the diode across your digital multimeter and read the voltage. I have a cheap Radio Shack photodiode I potted in a piece of PVC and stuck a female BNC connector on. This thing works great as an informal light detector; I can measure a few mV output in a nearly dark room up to 0.45 V when I point it at the sun.

I just aimed this photodiode out the window and took a voltage reading every second or so. Here's the plot, which gives you an idea of the variability; the abscissa is time in seconds and the ordinate is voltage in V. I don't know why there's a negative slope, but I took the data at around 5:30 pm in the Northwest US around latitude 40 degrees north. It might be just the normal diurnal variation, but sunset isn't for another 3 hours.

Now my interest is piqued because a lot of the solid angle this diode could see was the sky. I'm going to set up an experiment to monitor the output every second for a whole day and see what happens. The next few days are supposed to be sunny and I hope we don't get any thunderstorms.

Attachments

• photodiode.png
    photodiode.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 183

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I don't know why there's a negative slope, but I took the data at around 5:30 pm in the Northwest US around latitude 40 degrees north. It might be just the normal diurnal variation, but sunset isn't for another 3 hours.

Looks like it was just getting darker. And that's exactly what I'd expect at that time of day.

As a photographer, I can tell you that most people will not notice a 3 stop change in light levels (unless they occur quite quickly). That's an 8:1 range of intensity. It's hardly surprising that you did not notice it was getting darker outside during the time of your measurements.

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
Looks like it was just getting darker. And that's exactly what I'd expect at that time of day.

As a photographer, I can tell you that most people will not notice a 3 stop change in light levels (unless they occur quite quickly). That's an 8:1 range of intensity. It's hardly surprising that you did not notice it was getting darker outside during the time of your measurements.
I agree that it's probably because of the sun going around the earth :p, but I was a bit surprised that it was picking this up with such a relatively clean signal (and it was only a fraction of a percent of change in the signal). Of course, I can't leave it alone because now I want to know, so I set up the diode clamped in a vise to look out the window for the next 24 hours and I'll have the data tomorrow. If I don't have a stroke or unless my wife kills me for mouthing off to her (or one of the cats disturbs the setup), I'll post the data.

I was aware from past scientific and photographic work that it takes a goodly change for humans to notice light differences, but I didn't realize it was quite as much as 3 stops. This measured change was only a fraction of a percent of the signal, so I had no hope of detecting it by eye.

Here's a tidbit from when I was a student. I was setting up a Fabry-Perot interferometer and I was in a dark room and looking at the sodium doublet. After a little bit I was a bit surprised to realize that my eye could rather easily see the color difference between these two orange lines (that's about half a nm difference in wavelength if I recall correctly). Of course, if you saw these colors one-at-a-time, you'd likely declare them identical. But if you can compare colors, luminances, etc., you can detect much smaller changes.