Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Photo upload problem

Mongrel Shark

Jun 6, 2012
For a while now I have had photo upload problems with EP. Its a bit intermittent.

If I use chrome I get the old legacy up-loader that only allows one file at a time to be selected. Its really buggy too. crashes, uploads wrong file etc.

I'm using firefox on ubuntu 14.04 and the file uploader cant see my files. I can navigate through my folders. but the all appear empty. Mostly the uploader pops up as a background window with a new launcher tile. It can be very hard to find if I have a few windows open. Sometimes I have had a kludge that involves opening the uploader in one tab, then I can get a legacy uploader that works one at a time, but its pretty painful. Trying to upload 12 pics to the for sale section (in a second browser) atm and its taking ages....

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I can't say I have ever seen that issue before.

Can you please provide version numbers of the browsers you are using & please let us know if you are using any add-ons that offer script blocking or ad blocking.

Mongrel Shark

Jun 6, 2012
Firefox v48.0
I use ad-block plus, but disabling it just now and reloading the page didn't change the result.

Although playing with it a little more I think I worked it out and it might just be a PEBKAC error at my end.

I was trying to get photos from an SD card and external drives.. Checking the pictures folder in my home directory shows files I can see and upload.... Checking folders of documents, pictures etc on external drives shows empty folders....

I think its some kind of permission thing. Either firefox or the EP website probably need some kind of permission upgrade for external drives or ports... I have no idea how to fix that. But happy to work around it. Probably not a massive amount of firefox on linux users come here uploading pics from external drives.

The upload window is still a bit buggy in that it pops up as a background window and is not associated with firefox on the launcher so it can be easy to miss. It adds a new question mark (unknown application) launcher tile to the bottom of the list, which is off my screen.... If there is already a question mark tile it gets associated into the same tile icon. Which is a pretty good hiding spot if your not aware of it.

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
Sorry for the slow reply. It does sound like a browser issue (quite possibly related to a permissions issue as you mentioned), rather than a problem with the site. The advanced uploader uses Flash, which is going to be phased out of most browsers - so I suspect the forum software developers will switch over to HTML5 uploading very soon. As soon as there's a workaround to switch over to HTML5 for uploading, I'll make the change :).

Mongrel Shark

Jun 6, 2012
Lol. I'm not one to complain about slow replys lol.

Ahhhggg! Adobe stopped supporting Linux-firefox flash ages ago.
There is a workaround here for those that really want to flash on linux firefox. Using the chrome based pepper-flash
http://www.howtogeek.com/193876/using-firefox-on-linux-your-flash-player-is-old-and-outdated/

I should have guessed.
Thanks for the heads up Ian :)

Might I suggest a Java uploader if HTML5 is having issues or is too hard. Its got its issues too, but at least it works well cross platform.
I'm slowly replacing all the adobe stuff I have due to the increasing security problems and unwanted 3rd party software (virus) installs etc. I still haven't forgiven them for sneaking an ask toolbar installer into an update years ago....

Reactions: Ian

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
I am wanting to upload a sketch but there does not seem to be a way of doing this. My memory is not good but did there not be a paper clip to attach a picture or is this only done in other programs.
Others seem to be able to do it.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I am wanting to upload a sketch but there does not seem to be a way of doing this. My memory is not good but did there not be a paper clip to attach a picture or is this only done in other programs.
Others seem to be able to do it.

just clarify that a bit ?

you are hand drawing a circuit, yes ? then you photo it with your camera/camera phone, yes ?

you then just resize as needed on your PC and upload as usual.
Some will upload direct from camera phone but it can be a pretty big file and I will often save it, resize it and repost it for them
some/most phones have some image editing features on them ... I haven't really played, if you know how to do that then do so before uploading to EP

Dave

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Dave

I have hand drawn a circuit and the laptop has taken a selfie to generate rather a grotty picture.
This is 320x240, 225KB
The problem comes when I wish to attach it to my thread reply, I see no way of doing this. Other programs show a paper clip to upload a picture.
What am I not doing? Others manage it OK.
So "upload as usual" needs some explanation.

I need a simple method that I can remember or deduce each time. Image, media or insert doesn't apply.
I have e-mailed plenty of pictures.

Thank you for your help.
Trevor

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Dave

I have hand drawn a circuit and the laptop has taken a selfie to generate rather a grotty picture.
This is 320x240, 225KB
The problem comes when I wish to attach it to my thread reply, I see no way of doing this. Other programs show a paper clip to upload a picture.
What am I not doing? Others manage it OK.
So "upload as usual" needs some explanation.

I need a simple method that I can remember or deduce each time. Image, media or insert doesn't apply.
I have e-mailed plenty of pictures.

Thank you for your help.
Trevor

Trev lower right of the text box .....

upload_2016-9-3_8-50-32.png

Dave

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Dave

Thank you, I will need to get some better eyes.

Trevor

no probs :)

ohhh and for such a small sized (height width) file, you should drop the kb size substantially .... should be well below 100kb
do you know how to resize files like that ?

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
duke37 you could try downloading or purchasing an image-editor that can resize, reduce color channels (hence file-size in bytes), adjust resolution, and allow save AS or exporting to various formats.
The bigger, more powerful editors are often called 'Studios' or 'Suites' due to their many varied tools.
I use about 4-5 of these for artwork /rendering schematics etc.
Arcsoft's Photo Impression is a good platform for all of above, with dozens of others out there.
The paper clip is the standard icon for "attachment". Click it and select wot u want.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
FuZZ1LOGIC
My problem adding a file was that the attachment button was on the bottom of the screen, below where I was working. Scrolling down found the button. The paper clip is usually at the top.
I am not going to get any image editiors. I am too old to learn new tricks and often have to relearn each time I use a program. I use LTspice or 5spice to draw diagrams and would like to continue to scan hand drawn sketches.
I have been bought a printer/scanner for my 80th birthday. The **** thing does not have any connecting cable and I cannot get it to operate by radio from the computer. Oh for the days of Centronics or even USB.:)