Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Photo etch vs. laser transfer PCB

rhymed

Sep 13, 2009
In the past when I've needed a one-off PCB I've used the process where you print with a laser printer on a blue film and then use an iron to transfer the print to the copper coated board. I've learned that if i print about 4 copies of my circuit then one of the transfers might be usable after dissolving away the copper. I need to find a better way.

I've seen people that suggest using a laminator to transfer the mask, and I guess I could go that direction. What I'm wondering is, is that any better than using a photo etch process? I've never used a photo etching system, so I'm wondering, is it any more reliable than the iron-on method?

If anyone has any thoughts to share regarding the different methods, I'd appreciate the info.

Thanks.

vinniekins

Nov 16, 2009
Try Toner Transfer Kits from Pulsar FX

Hey, I have been having great success from using the Toner Transfer Paper from Pulsar,

Maybe you want to try as well.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
I don't have any actual experience with laser transfer films, only photo etch, but when looking at a printout from a laser it's apparent that the print density is marginal and I guess it's also variable between printers.
Would it be possible to transfer several prints on top of each other, one after the other, to achieve a better covering/density?

Photo etch is also sensitive to several variables; photofilm quality/age, lightbox strength/age, and original quality/density. If the original has poor density then the finished etch will also be of poor quality. And you have the extra developing bath to deal with.

neon

Oct 21, 2006
I have done that just make sure that the mask does not slip on you. Otherwise it is a snap good results