Connect with us

Philips DVP3042 Distorted black and white video, not reading discs

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by t0nito, May 8, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. t0nito

t0nito

May 8, 2016
    Hi I have a Philips DVD Player Model DVP3042 that I'd like to fix for my aunt.

She asked if I could fix it, she said it wouldn't read discs and there was no video. I though it could be a dirty lens and a bad cable.

I took it home and in fact the player doesn't load and on my setup the video is severely distorted.

First thing I've done is I cleaned the lens, I put a DVD in and it spins, albeit slowly and doesn't load, I found that the laser isn't even turning on, or even moving. Since there are problems in the video output, I thought it might be a power supply problem, I measured voltages and they are as follows with unit on and off:

Pin 1 +5V = 5.31V ON / 6.17V OFF
    Pin 2 +3.3V = 3.38V ON / 3.39V OFF
    Pin 3 GND
    Pin 4 GND
    Pin 5 +12V = 11.37V ON / 14.01V OFF
    Pin 6 GND
    Pin 7 -12V = -11.89V ON / -16.7V OFF
    Pin 8 -24V = -23.18V ON / -25.2V OFF

I measured AC voltages to check for ripple, I get about 0.33VAC on all voltages.

It's quite intriguing, I think both problems are related.

If you could help I'd appreciate it.

Here's a photo of the distortion, though it looks blue it's actually black and white:

13161537_1276725729021737_1076545387_o.jpg

2. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    Definitely sounds like a power supply problem. Have you checked the usual culprits (electrolytic caps, mains rectifier etc)? Any sign of over-heating, scorch marks?

3. t0nito

t0nito

May 8, 2016
    Thank you for your reply, I haven't checked all of the capacitors, but the ones I checked were fine, capacitance and ESR wise, I guess I have to check every one of them one by one. There are no scorch marks, what I find odd though is that the voltages seem normal, and the ripple seems marginal.

Ask a Question