Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Philips bike-light, blown up element with two connectors: BDP 06A

electroquest

Jul 18, 2015
I have this bicycle LED dynamo light from Philips.

It comes with parking light function via some kind of Supercapacitor/EDLC that gets loaded even when the light is switched off.
For a few days now the parking light did not work anymore. I guessed that maybe just the EDCL went bad and ignored it.

Yesterday evening when I switched it on it just flashed and was dark ever after.

I opened it up and see one element that clearly gone bad. Looks like it exploded and even destroedy one of the soldering points. And it smells like a leaked battery.
I was hoping somebody could identify it and maybe I can find a replacement and test my luck if the rest of the electronics are still working.

Here is a photo I took:
BDP 06A.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

electroquest

Jul 18, 2015
Looked again and I guess you mean the link on the battery word?
That was just because I hat to enable javascript on this side to upload the image and apparently copy/pasting from the dict side where I looked up the correct English writing copys a complete http link and not only text. And when I pasted it I didn't catch that.

Well I can't edit my first post, or at last I see no button for editing. So don't complain about me not removing that link! :p

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
The device is a transient voltage suppressor (TVS).
I think it is there to protect against voltage surges from the dynamo.
If that part is blown, it may very likely be that something else on the board went bad as well.

It is a part manufactured by General Semiconductor
which is now owned by Vishay.

Vishay part number is SMCJ7.5A

you can find it here:
http://www.vishay.com/docs/89331/smcj.pdf

electroquest

Jul 18, 2015
Thank you for the replay.

Didn't find a source without very high shipping costs so far and decided to just test it by shortening that connection. When I was using the light it seemed the only voltage spike happened when switching the LED on after driving around and the EDCL being loaded up.
Well sadly nothing happens now and I assume there is to much damage to repair it.

I will reuse the optic and the casing and build my own electronics.
I guess I just use a simple Rectifier Voltage doubler and feed that to a 12v electronic of a ebay led light. I build something like that before but it was not very useful on the bicycle without a good optic.