Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PH 9117 TRANSISTOR

sparks325

Sep 29, 2010
Hello,
Does anyone know where to view a data sheet on this transistor.
Thanks

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hello,
Does anyone know where to view a data sheet on this transistor.
Thanks

a tricky one mate what sort of cct is it in? maybe we could suggest a device that will do the same job ?

D

Militoy

Aug 24, 2010
Not too much info available on this part - It looks to be a M/A-Com 500W 1 GHz transistor - that's either special order, or limited production / obsolete. Nothing at all up on Tyco - M/A-Com website.

sparks325

Sep 29, 2010
It is in a transmitter that we (another department) service here at work. I have access to a few and thought they may be useful in a home brew
Linear HF amp for ham use. I was looking at the prices of the final drive transistors and got sticker shock.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
It is in a transmitter that we (another department) service here at work. I have access to a few and thought they may be useful in a home brew
Linear HF amp for ham use. I was looking at the prices of the final drive transistors and got sticker shock.

ok thats a good start :) now tell us what the rated output power of the amp is ?
and is it a single transistor output or are there 2 devices in parallel for that rated output ?
and is it a 12V or a 28V powered amp they are the 2 common voltage ratings of
transmitting transistors

D

sparks325

Sep 29, 2010
Thanks for the quick response. The circuit that they came out of had them in parallel with their bases grounded and +45 vdc on their collectors.
Looks like the RF came in through a tuned circuit on the emitter and went out via the collector. In that configuration they were producing 1000 watts at around 1Gig. The reason I was looking for a data sheet was to see if they could be used at a frequency between 3-30 Mhz. I’d be happy with 100 to 200 watts.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Thanks for the quick response. The circuit that they came out of had them in parallel with their bases grounded and +45 vdc on their collectors.
Looks like the RF came in through a tuned circuit on the emitter and went out via the collector. In that configuration they were producing 1000 watts at around 1Gig. The reason I was looking for a data sheet was to see if they could be used at a frequency between 3-30 Mhz. I’d be happy with 100 to 200 watts.

ok

yeah I havent been able to find any info either. With all my work in RF I would suspect that they are likely to be what is called "Controlled Q" devices that generally work over relatively narrow bandwidths maybe a couple of 100 MHz at the most.
(not all transistors are like that .... these ones may not be) But I would also hazard an educated guess that if they are designed for ~ 1GHz, I would be suprised if they would work at 3- 30 MHz mainly because of the internal makeup of the device to allow it to work at 1GHz without internal/self oscillation etc etc

I often come across some excellent devices that I would love to use on various Amateur radio bands but either because of lack of info like you have also found, or narrow bandwidth
I cant use them :(

edit.... ohhh and the other reason for the lack of info on some devices is cuz they were specifically built for a customer to their requirements and the manufacturer wont release info for the device :(

cheers
Dave
VK2TDN