Maker Pro
Maker Pro

penetration of em spectrum's

bhuvanesh

Aug 29, 2013
x rays are left to visible light and radio waves are right.Both can penetrate but why visible rays cant.what property of waves effect the penetration power(is it like wave length frequency like that).answer me basically plzzz

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
bhuvanesh, you are asking questions that can easily be answered with a Google search. This is not really appropriate; it wastes our time, and yours. You know how to use Google, right? You know how to choose appropriate search terms and how to modify your search terms to find information that's more closely related to your area of interest?

When you have questions, please use Google first. You should only ask questions here if they are specific to your situation, i.e. unlikely to have been answered elsewhere. In that case, we are happy to help, but we are not here to do your Googling for you.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Yes Harald right. On the left if plotted in wavelengths and on the right if frequency. So you probably are right Steve.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
x rays are left to visible light and radio waves are right.Both can penetrate but why visible rays cant.what property of waves effect the penetration power(is it like wave length frequency like that).answer me basically plzzz

Who told you light can't penetrate? Well I get quite a bit through my windows in the morning. Have you ever put a battery powered torch head in your mouth and seen your mouth glowing orange, if not try it on a small pen torch. Both these answers if you think carefully will help answer all your questions. Don't bother trying to fit a radio in your mouth it might be quite painful, and we know it's going to work.

Think power levels, sensitivity, frequency, Skin effect, penetration depth, photon energy levels, absorption. Light is not a special type of EM wave, it's just a band of waves we can see and at those frequencies materials tend to absorb or reflect most of the power. Take heat for instance which is basically lots of Infrared, can that pass through plastic? Yes it can.

But higher frequencies in the high 100sGhz don't pass through water very well. Even mobile phone reception is hampered buy heavy wooded areas due to the moisture in the trees and leaves. But visible light passes quite well through water.

If the power levels are high enough then any form of visible light could potentially pass through six inches of plastic. An example of a power level that could work is 8KW, but the distance would have to be quite close, this is the same as some X-ray machines. So you see it's not about dismissing something that does not seem to work when your in the middle of others around it that do. You have to consider why do the others work first. There will be limitations to the penetration through various materials of the whole of the EM spectrum, it just so happens that because we don't see light passing through an object we assume it's not.

Adam

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
It comes down to the fact that the difference in energy levels of electron orbits fall in or near the energies of photons in the visible light portion of the EM spectrum.

Bob

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
It comes down to the fact that the difference in energy levels of electron orbits fall in or near the energies of photons in the visible light portion of the EM spectrum.

Bob

Yes and that will be for materials that light can not pass through. Ones that have a higher eV rating.
Adam