Connect with us

Peltier tiles

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by aka23, Nov 19, 2013.

1. aka23

aka23

Nov 19, 2013
    I would appreciate some help.

Okay, I know very little about electronics.

I would just like to know what is the potential energy output ( if any) of a Peltier tile using my own body heat on one side (obviously 98 F) and winter ambient air on the other ( maybe 28-36 F). I have looked at the equation to estimate this, but it was a bit daunting without knowledge of certain principles. If someone can simplify it for me that would be great.

Thank you in advance!

2. Laplace

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
    If you put an ice cube on a patch of your skin, how long will your patch of skin maintain a temperature of 98 F?

3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Also, the amount of power depends on the surface area.

4. aka23

aka23

Nov 19, 2013
    Surface are would be 1.4x1.4 inches.

Well, temp of skin would drop below 98.

Why does the ice cube question matter? Will the tile get as cold as an ice cube and freeze my skin when exposed to colder temps on one side?

Also, if there was a small output of energy from the Peltier tile could it be stepped up with a small toriodal transformer?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2013
  5. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    you cannot create extra energy like that

Dave

6. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Voltage can be stepped up (at the expense of current.)
    Current can be stepped up (at the expense of voltage.)
    Power = Voltage x Current cannot be stepped up.

Your Peltier tile will be capable of some amount of power, not energy.
    Energy = Power x Time, so the energy you can create depends on how long you use it.

Energy can be accumulated over time, then released over a different amount of time to create more (or less) power for a different time interval.

Bob

7. Laplace

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
    The ice cube is relevant because of your intent to be in winter weather wearing not an insulating coat designed to keep you warm but a Seebeck device designed to transfer heat from your skin to the cold heatsink of winter air. Now two square inches is probably not enough to give you frostbite but neither will your patch of skin stay at 98 F unless you take extraordinary measures such as a copper heat plate to draw heat from a much larger area of warm skin. And the higher the temperature differential across the Seebeck device the better the power generation.

FYI, see this science project on The Hollow Flashlight:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/b...t-takes-teen-to-google-science-fair-1.1317745

https://www.googlesciencefair.com/e...seUxUSXdNVEp5RUFzU0IxQnliMnBsWTNRWXA2ZVVBZ3cM

8. aka23

aka23

Nov 19, 2013
    Thanks for your help!

Ask a Question