Connect with us

Pellet Stove Motor will not run

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Lanceh5, Nov 29, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Lanceh5

Lanceh5

Nov 29, 2016
    I am trying to figure out what is wrong with a Breckwell wood pellet stove. This stove is 20 years old. I posted pictures of the wiring schematic , capacitor and motor. The combustion motor stopped working about a week ago. It is a 40 watt, 3uF, 115v motor. I removed the motor and the start/run capacitor. The motor (made in Germany) turns freely so it is not a bearing problem. I am not sure how to check the capacitor? I am in the process of trying to find a new capacitor which has no name. The capacitor is about the size of a D-cell battery with a wire lead coming from the top that has two wires in it and a 3/8 inch stud on the bottom. The specs of the capacitor are printing on the side, 3uF +/- 10%, 3/100I, 400V~HPF/MS, 430V~HPF/NT , 450V~HSF/NT, Up=968 V~560-8. I spent a couple of hours on the internet searching for one of these but have been unsuccessful. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. Tha fios agaibh

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
    Looks like its a start cap (two terminal), not a start/run cap (three terminal). And the rubber cap may come off to access the terminals on top of cap. So something like this should work.
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/271463062491?_mwBanner=1

I believe the stud is for mounting purposes only, Not as a third terminal.

3. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    It looks as if the logo is from Fujitsu, see a resource on logos by KrisblueNZ.
    The stud is just to hold the capacitor. It may be metric, not 3/8.
    Any 3uF 400V motor run capacitor should do the job. There are loads of capacitors of this type on the net.

4. Tha fios agaibh

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
    A motor that has a failed start cap usually sits there making a humming noise and will then take off, if you can manually spin the motor shaft.

5. Lanceh5

Lanceh5

Nov 29, 2016
    I ordered this capacitor from Granger with mounting kit and terminal guard. I assume that the terminals can be connected either way. I will just used some spade terminals with 14 gage wire.

Attached Files:

6. Tha fios agaibh

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
    Yes, either way is fine, If in fact the cap is bad.

7. ADRT

ADRT

Nov 25, 2014
    It may not have anything to do with the motor or cap. I have repaired a few pellet stoves with similar issues and it turned out to be a problem with the control board. I've replaced triacs and have also had to replace an optoisolator.

Ask a Question