Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Pellet Stove Circuit Switch

Richard Fitzpatrick

Oct 22, 2014
I hope someone can help me. I have a small problem. I just installed a new pellet stove and each time the thermostat calls for heat and the stove lights, there is a small puff of smoke. This only happens at startup, after that, while it’s burning, the odor is non existent. This is where the problem is. My wife does not like this smell, and after 48 years of marriage I have learned the best thing to do is to make her happy. I have decided to put small ventilator fan in the wall to exhaust the small amount of smoke that occurs at startup. This is the problem, I only need the fan to run at startup when the thermostat calls for heat, but turn off in about 10-15 minuets and be ready to go through the same cycle at the next call for heat. I need some sort of simple circuit at accomplish this job. I would appreciate any help I could get for this problem.
Thanks Rick

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Richard, this happens with my hot water tank.
The exhaust ducting is much more efficient once there is warm air in it... as the warm air rises and helps draw the exhaust out.
When the unit first turns on, some of the exhaust (a very small amount) spills over and it can be smelled in the house. This is a problem with the installation, as there are two 90 degree elbows almost immediately on top of the heater to make an S-Bend to resolve an installation mistake...

I know you have installed a 'new' stove, but if this was not an issue with the original, you should check your ducting to ensure there are no obstructions that may impede the air-flow.
As far as your simple circuit is concerned, it should be incredibly easy to implement.
Can you please provide some more details to help us get something going?

-How close is the thermostat to the exhaust fan you have installed?
-Please provide details for the thermostat. (Make/Model, installation method, if known)
-Please provide details for the pellet stove. (Make/Model)
-Please provide details for the exhaust fan. (Working voltage, amperage, etc.)
-How are you with electronics, and do you have any test equipment. (Multi-meter, scopes, probes)
-Do you want to be able to adjust the timer after installation, or will anywhere from 10-15 minutes suffice?
-Is the fan going to run 'before' the stove lights, or will it begin to run as soon as the stove lights? (Difference here is interrupting the signal from the thermostat, or eavesdropping on it.)