Connect with us

Peenemünde Document Translation (German)

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Ian, Nov 22, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Ian

Ian Administrator

Aug 23, 2006
    At a recent space related event, there was a stall selling space-race artefacts, including documents relating to the weapons testing site of Peenemünde in Germany, from WWII. I'm aware of the history of the site and the developments from it - primarily the V2 rocket. I couldn't resist buying a few of the pages, as I'm hugely interested in the development of rockets though the years, and I'd never seen something like this before.

I was wondering if any of the German speakers here would be able to assist in translating the text, or perhaps give any ideas about what the documents may be about? It could be a recipe for sponge cake for all I know! I can read/write basic German, but the handwriting and content means it's beyond my abilities.

Here are some scans:

1.jpg 2.jpg

I'd be very grateful for any insight in to what these documents are about :).

Arouse1973 likes this.
  2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    You're piling up difficulties:
    - it's German
    - it's handwritten
    - it's patent-language

The first page is about adding Ac voltages of the same frequency. The second page is about a kind of bandpass ('Superweiche').
    At a first glance thes edocuments are completely unrelated and possibly incomplete.
    Let me give it a try, but I will need some time. Could you possibly provide copies with better contrast?

Harald

Anon_LG and Ian like this.
  3. LvW

LvW

Apr 12, 2014
    Yes - in principle, I agree with Harald K.
    * The first document deals with subtracting two groups of signals having the same frequency (using a phase-reversal amplifier) ,
    * The second paper seemingly describes a Q-enhanced active bandpass (using a valve and frequency-selective feedback); however, no input/output nodes can be seen. For sufficient feedback the circuit could work as an oscillator (in the paper, the term "oscillation" (Schwingung) appears).

Anon_LG and Ian like this.
  4. Ian

Ian Administrator

Aug 23, 2006
    Thank you @Harald Kapp and @LvW, I really appreciate you taking time to have a look :). I have attached larger originals (as PDFs) and I've tweaked the contrast on the JPG attachments:

1.jpg 2.jpg

The documents are definitely incomplete, I suspect that the seller had obtained a few minor documents and then bundled them up in to small packages.

You've already given me an interesting insight in to what the documents are about - so please don't spend much time on this if it is difficult to read :). I just wanted to write some notes up so that I've got a clue as to what the documents are referring to, and you've already given me an overview.

Attached Files:

5. LvW

LvW

Apr 12, 2014
    The second document shows the principle of a "Meissner-Oscillator" - also known as "Armstrong-Oscillator".

KJ6EAD and Ian like this.
  6. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    This is what I made of your papers: transscript of the handwritten text into typewritten German, followed by my humble attempt of a translation. Passages I couldn't decipher are marked as such.

Document #1:
    Document #2:
    I leave it to people more experienced with valve circuits to judge the correctness of the term 'Superweiche' and to fill in the missing passages.

I hope this is what you've been looking for.

Sincerely
    Harald

Anon_LG, Ian and KJ6EAD like this.
  7. Ian

Ian Administrator

Aug 23, 2006
    Thank you Harald, I really appreciate it - that is exactly what I was looking for :).

Ask a Question