Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PCs blowing up

skenn_ie

Sep 7, 2009
Hi. An interesting and frustrating case: A friend has problems with newer PCs blowing up, even with a UPS. The most recent one leaked water after the event, so I am presuming that it has a water cooled CPU (or PSU ?) It is a gaming machine, so high power consumption and dissipation. We suspect that his neighbour is putting 220VAC straight onto his electric fence !
Any suggestions are welcome.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
The most recent one leaked water after the event, so I am presuming that it has a water cooled CPU (or PSU ?)

a very good reason for the PC to fail .... water and electronics don't mix well

We suspect that his neighbour is putting 220VAC straight onto his electric fence !

it wont have any effect unless your PC is connected to the electric fence

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
In most countries, putting the mains supply across an electric fence would be illegal - quite probably fatal to anyone touching it. But it is unlikely to be the cause of PC failure.

The PC you're referring to seems to be tweaked to maximum potential - running on the ragged edge of potential failure.... and in your case, falling off the edge!

skenn_ie

Sep 7, 2009
I would be very surprised if it was overclocked, and I am sure that putting mains on a fence IS illegal, even if it is within a farm's boundary. Two machines died just from being plugged in at that location. They had been run elsewhere. A audible spark and smell of fried chips ! A very distinctive smell, don't you know. I worked in production systems test some years back, with minicomputers. Mis-plugged boards, reversed electrolytics, and occasionally chips reversed too.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
'Normal' PC's don't require water-cooling! Overclock one and you're heading in the right direction to be needing such cooling.

Do you know WHAT blew up on the PC's?? It would be unusual for any surge to get past the PSU given the amount of filtering they have these days. I'd suspect an MOV on the input side to have blown (perhaps) - especially given the potential for surges from a neighbour messing with mains supplies on fences!

SMPS devices don't like distorted AC waveforms (much) and harmonics are a definite no-no as far as longevity is concerned. Such distortions can be caused by machinery loads on the supply lines. A UPS will only prevent this if it's an ONLINE device - a more expensive version that converts the incoming AC to a SMOOTH supply at all times. Typical OFFLINE UPS devices just send the mains straight through until a loss is detected.

Robert_fay

Jun 15, 2017
Have you tested the outlet that you are plugging into? If they are frying that fast you either have a dead short in your PCs or a voltage issue in your outlet.