Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PCBExpress Help

Ricky65

Jan 9, 2014
Hey Guys/Gals,

I'm trying to make a PCB using PCBExpress software. I need to get a footprint for a TDA2040 class A amplifier that has a "pentawatt" package. I can't find anything in PCBExpress that has this footprint. Is there another name for a "pentawatt" package that I'm missing? Thanks for any help.
Rick

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Not sure about PCBExpress, but in most PCB CAD programs you can make your own footprints. It is not that difficult.

Bob

Ricky65

Jan 9, 2014
Thanks for your help, Bob. I will try to see if PCBExpress offers the same utility.
Meanwhile, could you recommend some CAD programs that allow you to make your own footprints. If needs be, I'll switch to one of those. Hope I'm not asking too much. Thanks again.

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
Yes, you can make you own components for PCBs in ExpressPCB. One of my favorite features of ExpressPCB is easily modifying or creating custom components and schematic symbols. Go to the HELP pull-down and select ExpressPCB Users Manual & Online Help... Then select Making Custom Components. You may will need to do the same thing in the Schematic Editor.

Also Googled this http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...4LuYQJA22W_NCKQ&bvm=bv.59026428,d.aWc&cad=rja, it gets into creating components about half way through the document (no page numbers).
Also this:

Ken

Last edited:

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
+1

I have used ExpressPCB and find it the easiest software to use. I use it for my DIY boards. If it could export Gerber files, I would use it for most everything. Adding new components and footprints is a snap, since you can easily start with any existing component and modify it as needed to make a new one.

Bob

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
A quick look at the datasheet...looks like the pentawatt is just a T0-220-5 package that is already in ExpressPCB's PCB component library. You can use the LM383A schematic symbol in the Schematic Library. The pins match. Just rename it TDA2040.

Ken

Ricky65

Jan 9, 2014
Thank you, KMoffet for the help. I think this will solve my problem.

eem2am

Aug 3, 2009
http://pcblayout1.wordpress.com/pcb-layout-software-packages-need-better-tutorials/

Eagle is easy, due to loads of google and youtube help available for it.
Eagle also imports directly into Altium14...libs ,scms and pcbs....direct input...Altium have seen how eagle is ace and so wish to offer a path to altium via eagle, since eagle cant really be used for computer motherboard type work.

Eagle is the most popular industrial pcb package in Germany for pcb'sof 4 layers and less.

Ricky65

Jan 9, 2014
Re: eem2am

Thanks, eem2am for your help. I found out how to use PCB express to accommodate the "pentawatt" package.