Connect with us

PCB Toner transfer?

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by Hammy, Jan 12, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Hammy

    Hammy Guest

    I have a HP LASER JET 1018 that the toner is running out. I see
    staples and the regular chains sell replacements for in excess of
    $100.00. That is more then what I paid for the printer $48.00.

    I was wondering if anybody tried any of these discount toners like

    This is only $25.00.

    If they have does it still work are do they use some kind of sub
    standard toner and the process wont work with the cheap toner? I know
    people report problems with some of the brother printers is this
    because of the toner or the printer.
  2. pimpom

    pimpom Guest

    My printing needs are light and I don't use third-party toners,
    but I know several people who use them regularly. Some are very
    good and others are acceptable. Some of them also buy the toner
    powder and refill the cartridges themselves. Output quality
    varies but, as with inkjet refills, it's usually quite good as
    long as care and common sense are applied. (I've done it myself
    once). The cost comes to the equivalent of about $3-5 US per
  3. Hammy

    Hammy Guest

    Thanks for the input.

    For $25 bucks I'll give it a try. I'll get some ink for my Cannon
    printer too. Cartridges there are only $6 for all 4 colors.
  4. Hammy

    Hammy Guest

    Just an update.

    The cheap toner does work. I used it so far to do a multiple output
    10W flyback. There doesnt seem to be any quality difference in the
    toner. Traces to 8mil with a TPS40210 in a 10 pin power pad MSOP.

    So anyone else using a 1018 for PCB toner transfer method save
    yourself a couple of bucks.
  5. pimpom

    pimpom Guest

    Somehow I missed the "PCB" part in the subject line earlier. I
    did notice the "toner transfer" part and at first thought that it
    was for transferring PCB art work to Cu-clad board. But when
    there was no mention of PCBs in the message body, I thought you
    were talking about general printing jobs on paper and the
    "transfer" in the subject line was just a poor choice of
    expression for changing the toner cartridge. No, I wasn't drunk.

    Anyway, can you tell me what medium you use for printing? Are
    special media specifically meant for transfer to PCBs common
    nowadays? I ask because I use the toner transfer method from time
    to time, but in the remote location where I live, I'm having a
    hard time getting suitable media consistently.
  6. Hammy

    Hammy Guest

    I've been using staples "Photo Glossy Paper" item#471861. I've heard
    people have used magazine paper but I stick with what I know works.

    I get thirty sheets for about ten bucks; multiple PCB's can fit on one
    piece for me anyway's, most of my PCB's are as small as I can get
    them. The flyback I just did is 1.8" x 2.9".
  7. Jamie

    Jamie Guest

    Inkjet glossy Photo paper!., Print on the glossy side. Iron on. Its
    water soluble.

    Works a treat for prototyping or single unit/home project.
  8. Hammy

    Hammy Guest

    The only PITA I find is getting that last thin transparent when wet
    coat of paper off. The link JeffM posted has a possible solution I'll
    try next time.

    Alan said
  9. pimpom

    pimpom Guest

    I've experimented on and off with release paper too, either
    peeled off the back of sticker paper or bought separately from
    local silkscreen printing shops. The advantage of using such
    non-stick (teflon coated?) material is that it peels off cleanly
    after ironing. But, as you implied, it's too slippery to feed
    into a printer by itself.

    The release paper backing of some sticker papers are also
    non-stick on the back side and I've used those without peeling
    off the front (normal paper) side, with limited success. They go
    in, but are still too slippery to feed to the exit rollers
    reliably in my LJ1020 printer.

    I've also tried hard glossy paper and they transfer well but, as
    a lot of people will undoubtedly have experienced, getting it all
    off again can be a real pain.
  10. pimpom

    pimpom Guest

    That sound like it's worth trying. MS Word prints a blank page
    without protesting or the need to put a dot somewhere, at least
    with my LJ1020 printer.
  11. pimpom

    pimpom Guest

    I've used several types of glossy paper and the transfer goes
    well with most of them, but removing the paper is the PITA.

    Your use of the term "clay-covered" (I didn't know they are
    called that) reminds me of something. I once bought a blank sheet
    of sticker paper from a small local stationery shop with the
    intention of using the release paper backing for toner transfer.
    On close examination, the surface looked different from other
    glossy types. It was smooth and somewhat glossy, but there seemed
    to be a surface coating that somehow looked as if it was not very
    tightly bound to the paper substrate.

    I tried it and it worked very well. The paper came off much more
    easily after ironing than with other types, and there's no feed
    problem as with teflon-coated paper. I exclaimed a silent
    'Eureka!'. But alas, I bought just that one sheet and the shop
    had disposed of the few sample sheets they had. They said that
    they have no intention of stocking that type again as there's
    very little demand for it.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day