Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PCB holders for under the microscope

danny davis

May 9, 2012
What are some holders for PCB?

The only one i have found is PanaVise 324 Electronic Work Center
http://www.amazon.com/PanaVise-324-...PNBU/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1336624661&sr=8-9

The Microscope at my job doesn't have any room to put a Panavise or clamp to hold the PCB board down so it doesn't move

Right now when I'm soldering under the microscope the PCB keeps moving up and down and side to side I can't get it to stay sit

What can I use please?

Another problem is that my soldering iron when pointing straight up is to long to be in between the working area of the microscopes working area

It's very hard to keep the soldering iron at an angle because the shaft of the soldering iron starts to melt the SMT packages of other components or you can't get your soldering tip on the right pad that you're soldering so you need to point the soldering iron straight up or at 2 o clock angle but you can't do that because the microscopes lens or you will hit the microscope area

Most soldering irons are about 8inchs in length

the bottom working area of the microscope to the Magnifier lens is 3 to 4 inches

My soldering iron keeps hitting the magnifier lens so i can't point the soldering iron at a higher angle to get at the pads

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
The Microscope at my job doesn't have any room to put a Panavise or clamp to hold the PCB board down so it doesn't move

Right now when I'm soldering under the microscope the PCB keeps moving up and down and side to side I can't get it to stay sit

Poster Tack

41x2ZtEFFUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Another problem is that my soldering iron when pointing straight up is to long to be in between the working area of the microscopes working area

It's very hard to keep the soldering iron at an angle because the shaft of the soldering iron starts to melt the SMT packages of other components or you can't get your soldering tip on the right pad that you're soldering so you need to point the soldering iron straight up or at 2 o clock angle but you can't do that because the microscopes lens or you will hit the microscope area

Most soldering irons are about 8inchs in length

the bottom working area of the microscope to the Magnifier lens is 3 to 4 inches

My soldering iron keeps hitting the magnifier lens so i can't point the soldering iron at a higher angle to get at the pads

Time to find another magnifier option...

danny davis

May 9, 2012
you know I was thinking that in my mind of those poster tacks

I have been using double sided tape

But alot of the PCB boards at my job don't sit FLAT because there is components sitting on the other side which is the bottom so the whole PCB board wobbles because there is big components in the middle

I have no idea how to make it not move, do you ?

Plus I don't know much about PCB holders and which ones work with microscopes

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Sounds to me like your microscope is the problem.
How the heck is your employer expecting you to work on a PCB under those conditions?
If you can't get a model made for what you're doing, can't you get a platform attached
to elevate the magnifier, or somehow widen the distance between the magnifier and
the work surface?
This description reminds of a 16 foot tall tractor trailer trying to make it under a 15'6" bridge.
Panavise has the best selection of heads for their vises for the work you do.

Last edited:

danny davis

May 9, 2012
Ya my soldering iron length from soldering tip to the plastic part where u put your hand to hold it is longer than the working distance from the working area

I tried putting a block of metal under the microscope to raise it up but it just lifts the hold thing up with the microscope BASE PLATE, I would have to cut the base plate off or something to make it work right