Connect with us

PCB ground question

Discussion in 'PCB Layout, Design and Manufacture' started by Russ15, Oct 17, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Russ15

Russ15

Aug 15, 2011
    After making a home made pcb I noticed the ground connection was not complete around the whole board, there was a section where the ground is broken. I have attached a picture to show what I mean with the area circled in red. Could this throw things off? If so can it be fixed by soldering a wire from one side to the other? Thanks

Picture

2. davelectronic

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
    If the ground is common to the rest of the circuit, then maybe yes it should be as the rest of the circuit, common ground, but if no common ground exists and your circuit works, and its not coming in contact with a metal chassis at mains potential voltage, all should be ok.
    Dave. :)

3. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    I've seen this done sometimes. I can't give a universal reason why this is done, but it might have something to do with avoiding ground loops.
    I'm sure it has some theoretical &/or experimental foundation. There should be no negative effects from it (& leaving it as it is).
    Of course you may experiment with bridging the gap. It might introduce/reduce noise, if anything. May I ask what the circuit is?

4. Russ15

Russ15

Aug 15, 2011
    Yea I feel since the ground is supposed to show continuity at all common grounded points it could be an issue. Think a single wire soldered across both points is enough to get things back on track?

The circuit is working off of 9v with dc power.

The circuit is for a blender for a guitar pedal. From the picture I attached you can see all the common ground points on the board are supposed to be connected, so I think it may be a problem. I didn't intend for it to happen on purpose while making it, the paper must have shifted during the ironing process.

5. Russ15

Russ15

Aug 15, 2011
    Here is the completed project as far as wiring and parts . The reason I even bring this up is because everything is hooked up properly according to the pcb and wiring diagram here, however the circuit (blender) is not working properly, and I am out of ideas as to why.

6. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Ah, ok. Yes, just bridge the gap with a piece of wire. And make sure to verify the integrity of all the other tracks with an ohm-meter. There may be breaks &/or shorts.

7. Russ15

Russ15

Aug 15, 2011
    Great thanks for all the input guys I appreciate it. Hopefully this will solve the problem :)

Ask a Question