Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PCB from speakers broken please help

chidinma onyejuruwa

Aug 29, 2016
Hi there, so I have had my trusty edifier spinnaker speakers which stopped working a few days ago, it powers up however there is no volume and I assume the issue is connected to the fact there is a strange substance covering a number of components. I assume this is a cap blowing but im no expert can anybody help me identify the issue. Pic's are below
GXwT7uu
DefCYuK
9lGqIMm
Udr4f3g

Would just replacing the caps fix the issue in your eyes or is it likely there's more lasting damage?

Thanks in advance

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Please upload the images here so we can see them.

chidinma onyejuruwa

Aug 29, 2016
here you go

Attachments

• DSC_0038.JPG
    DSC_0038.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC_0037.JPG
    DSC_0037.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC_0035.JPG
    DSC_0035.JPG
    247 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC_0036.JPG
    DSC_0036.JPG
    226 KB · Views: 128

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Looking at everything but the third image, I would have said that the capacitors have had their electrolyte leak out and need replacement.

However the third image shows similar goop, but in an arrangement which looks more like the placement of glue than the flow of leakage.

Is the substance in the third image different? Is it rubbery rather than crunchy,

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Looking at everything but the third image, I would have said that the capacitors have had their electrolyte leak out and need replacement.

However the third image shows similar goop, but in an arrangement which looks more like the placement of glue than the flow of leakage.

yeah, definitely glue to hold them in place

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir chidinma onyejuruwa . . . . . . .

(Whew . . . .try as I can . . . . .I just can't say your name . . . . three times VERY-VERY fast !)

Hoping that this is being your units model family.

" I ain't done never heards of enny of these 'a here Edifier Spinnaker . . .Horny type . . .speakers."

No electrolytic failures suspicions at all . . .you are just seeing some of the families of adhesive "goop" that manufacturers use in holding more massive components in place for assembly line operations and shipping..
They are even using a different family on the Class D power amp board around the 10 uh inductors and 4 of the electrolytic. capacitors.
In consulting top photo below, first consideration would be the operationality of the "brick" power supply which powers this unit.
Do you get any LED type of indications of power presence on the main speaker "horn" with its skinny LED indicator ?

The power needs are shown to be a 20VDC supply at up to a drain of 2.75A.

The third photo is showing this unit using a "build" from a Tejas Instrumentations digital processing chip interfacing with some hefty semiconductors on the large finned heat sink for 3 drive channels . . Bass---Mid---Treble..
Start off with checking the power brick for power output.

In advancing degrees of testing involvement, the third picture will need a full top shot of the YELLOW rectangles
markings of the different pins assignments + voltage and polarity info.

PHOTO REFERENCING:

KwOZaeA.jpg

73's de Edd

Last edited:

chidinma onyejuruwa

Aug 29, 2016

Is the substance in the third image different? Is it rubbery rather than crunchy,

Sir chidinma onyejuruwa . . . . . . .

(Whew . . . .try as I can . . . . .I just can't say your name . . . . three times VERY-VERY fast !)

Hoping that this is being your units model family.

" I ain't done never heards of enny of these 'a here Edifier Spinnaker . . .Horny type . . .speakers."

No electrolytic failures suspicions at all . . .you are just seeing some of the families of adhesive "goop" that manufacturers use in holding more massive components in place for assembly line operations and shipping..
They are even using a different family on the Class D power amp board around the 10 uh inductors and 4 of the electrolytic. capacitors.
In consulting top photo below, first consideration would be the operationality of the "brick" power supply which powers this unit.
Do you get any LED type of indications of power presence on the main speaker "horn" with its skinny LED indicator ?

The power needs are shown to be a 20VDC supply at up to a drain of 2.75A.

The third photo is showing this unit using a "build" from a Tejas Instrumentations digital processing chip interfacing with some hefty semiconductors on the large finned heat sink for 3 drive channels . . Bass---Mid---Treble..
Start off with checking the power brick for power output.

In advancing degrees of testing involvement, the third picture will need a full top shot of the YELLOW rectangles
markings of the different pins assignments + voltage and polarity info.

PHOTO REFERENCING:

KwOZaeA.jpg

73's de Edd
Thank's I have just checked and found it gives me 18.26 v. Is this too low as you said it requires 20v?

chidinma onyejuruwa

Aug 29, 2016

No this is the same on all pieces. Thank you

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
I would think that you are OK on that 18.26 VDC.
Can we see a photo of the side of the heat sink showing the semiconductors mounted to it . . . and their numbers

73's de Edd

chidinma onyejuruwa

Aug 29, 2016
I would think that you are OK on that 18.26 VDC.
Can we see a photo of the side of the heat sink showing the semiconductors mounted to it . . . and their numbers

73's de Edd
Hi there the heatsink practically covers the whole thing i can vaguely make out two chips of some sort. I have also take more pictures. there is a second piece which sits on top of the circuit board

chidinma onyejuruwa

Aug 29, 2016
Here are the pics

Attachments

• DSC_0053.JPG
    DSC_0053.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC_0052.JPG
    DSC_0052.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC_0051.JPG
    DSC_0051.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC_0050.JPG
    DSC_0050.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC_0049.JPG
    DSC_0049.JPG
    211.3 KB · Views: 104

Nemo1956

Sep 5, 2016
Here are the pics
Hi there. Just been looking at your thread and seeing your pictures.
the first lot are just glue that has been used to hold the capacitors so they don't move from vibration.
But the second lot to me it looks like water damage as I can see lots of white deposits on and around the components and connectors.
It could also be some deposits left over from poor cleaning of the circuit board. But to me it's water damage.
I have seem many like it.
If it is then you will have to clean it very well with alcohol based cleaner then dry it out very well.. But normally when I have had these I had to replace the module or devices.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
But the second lot to me it looks like water damage as I can see lots of white deposits on and around the components and connectors.
It could also be some deposits left over from poor cleaning of the circuit board. But to me it's water damage.

this choice of yours is better ;)

AndrewMacCloud

Mar 3, 2021
hey , how did you manage to open these speakers?

any screws or just glued together?

thanks in advance

Technomaniac

Oct 31, 2020
yellow contact cement turns brown and goes hard over time, in hot climates. Also, IT CAN BECOME CONDUCTIVE, which can cause problems, especially if it is on the copper tracks. The black deposits on the other side can also be conductive, and the white deposits happened to me once when making my own PC boards, and wasn't cleaning well enough after etching, IT WAS ALSO CONDUCTIVE ! There could be a film all over the board. Could be worth a clean.with a toothbrush dipped in alcohol or even washing up detergent. Since there are chips involved, even high resistance deposits will matter. You can run over the deposits with an ohmmeter switched to the high range, and the prods almost touching, to verify or disprove the theory.

Last edited: