Connect with us

PCB Drilling

Discussion in 'PCB Layout, Design and Manufacture' started by pyrohaz, Jan 13, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. pyrohaz

pyrohaz

Oct 28, 2012
    Hey, I'm hopefully getting into the art of PCB making, the only thing I need to know though is where I can buy a miniature desk sized drill press? At uni, I have not got a chance at all of getting a normal sized drill press in my room! Is there anything I can use? I've got a budget of <£50.

If not, what would be the best way of drilling a PCB?

Cheers,
    Harris

2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    I use a dremel tool. You can get drill bits in the sized needed with an 1/8 in shank that fit very nicely in the dremel.

Bob

3. pyrohaz

pyrohaz

Oct 28, 2012
    Brilliant! I'll keep that in mind, Thank you very much :)

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    On this note, without a press don't get the actual PCB drill bits as they are hardened and will break if you bend them just the slightest... They are significantly more durable in a press due to the hardness but not the best choice for hand drilling, IMO... You can get the micro chuck for a Dremel very reasonable that will chuck up normal micro sized 'wire' twist drills that will give significant flex for hand drilling, and thus will result in much less breakage, and they can be had for dirt cheap from China... Also invest in a center punch (automated saves time), this will make it whole lot easier to actually drill the holes vs fighting the drill wandering all over the place and tearing up the pads on the board...

5. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Something lost in translation? I don't know if there is any place that strictly outlaws making your own PC boards, there are certainly places that outlaw certain etchants but that only means you use a different etchant when making the board... And it's certainly not illegal to drill holes :)

6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Hey CC

welcome to "Ted's" world
    The supplier of really bad info. Like many of his posts, they eventually get deleted by us mods ;)

Dave

7. Jotto

Jotto

Aug 24, 2012
    I use a pen vise drill. They are cheap but would make your hand sore if your doing a lot of holes. Dremel also makes a stand that the tool can fit it to make it easier for you.

I would go with the dremel is your doing a lot of holes.

Ask a Question