Connect with us

PCB Cleaning after Soldering

Discussion in 'PCB Layout, Design and Manufacture' started by chopnhack, Dec 7, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. chopnhack

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
    How do you clean your PCB's after soldering? If you were preparing to spray a conformal coating?

I was thinking of using the coating to prevent oxidation for one of my projects that will be in a harsh environment. To prepare for the coating, the substrate needs to be clean and free of residue from soldering. My thoughts are to use alcohol and a toothbrush followed by a deionized water wash. Blow dry with compressed air.

Your thoughts?

2. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    Use whatever flux removal method works with your flux, including mechanical action such as brushing. This may be a water based process or other. Follow any water rinses with compressed air then alcohol to scavenge the remaining water. Blow off again and bake in a low temperature oven.

chopnhack likes this.
  3. chopnhack

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
    Awesome, thanks for the input - low temp oven would easily and quickly evaporate the alcohol, good thinking :)

4. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Mineral turps seems to remove residual flux quickly.

5. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    More importantly, it will evaporate it completely so no hidden pocket of liquid trapped in or under a component can cause a thin spot or bubble in the conformal coating.

chopnhack likes this.
  6. chopnhack

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
    Interesting, I had not thought of using that as a solvent - I thought it would leave a oily residue for some reason...

Again, good point, especially since I have vias all over the intended board! Thanks again.

I have read 170F was a good temp, any information from your experience?

7. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    That's fine. You should of course familiarize yourself with the best practices recommended by the manufacturer of your conformal coating.

8. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
  9. Daniel Robertson

Daniel Robertson

Sep 1, 2014
    Cellulose thinners for me every time.

10. jack20140512

jack20140512

Dec 10, 2014
    two methods when clean the residue flux, one is use alcohol and a toothbrush. the Alcohol must be standard industy or the PCB will became white. the other is to use Ultrasonic machine. but some of the parts may be damaged

Ask a Question