Connect with us

pcb board coatings

Discussion in 'PCB Layout, Design and Manufacture' started by lock wizard, Sep 22, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. lock wizard

lock wizard

Sep 22, 2014
    Morning all, i'm after a bit of help with the removal of coatings on boards, now at the minutes a just apply heat to the coating to soften them up and try to peel them off but im sure they must be a better way of doing this so any advice would be great.

Thank you.

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hi ya lock wizard
    welcome to EP :)

You could try paint stripper ... beware of the fumes!!

Dave

3. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun So long, and Thanks for all the Fish!

Aug 27, 2013
    If you are just attempting to salvage the copper then Acetone should do the trick...if you are attempting to also salvage the PCB Acetone might be problematic.

Fish

4. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
  5. ketanrd01

ketanrd01

Aug 11, 2014
    try coating copper with some paint and dip it in Fecl3.....it should remove the remaining copper....

6. lock wizard

lock wizard

Sep 22, 2014
    I need the boards in one piece, the reason i want to know is on certain vehicles when i need to supply new keys i have to remove some chips and read the eeprom file to make a new coded key.

7. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Forgive any ignorance I may have, but wouldn't there be a better way to do this? I can't see a dealer modifying a circuit board for a new key. This sounds like a service that a third party is trying to provide.

8. lock wizard

lock wizard

Sep 22, 2014
    on quite alot of vehicles over here in the uk when you have lost all your keys then you have to have your engine managment unit replaced by the dealers as they cannot just code in keys as they are precoded, also on fiats etc it can take a week for a precoded key to be sent from fait, but us as auto locksmiths have the equipment to be able to remove the chips of the boards read the files then precode keys for the vehicles at a quarter of the price a dealer would charge and it can noramlly be done within a few hours not a week.

9. flippineck

flippineck

Sep 8, 2013
    are you able to read the chip with it still connected in-circuit? could you make a jig that employed sharp points like needles precisely placed? do away with the actual need to remove conformal coating, just punch through it?

admittedly this'd be somewhat of a feat of precision engineering but it might be worth it if you're doing it in bulk

10. lock wizard

lock wizard

Sep 22, 2014

Yes i have got some correct tools that will go around the legs on the chips in circuit, or i just solder wires onto certain sections of the circuit board, but the newer machine i have you put the chip on a board that comes with the machine and then connect it into the side of the machine so it can read it

Ask a Question