Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Pc Ram

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Hi all. Been busy doing pc updates, playing with old machines, does any one out there know what memory Ram goes in a emachine 730 model desk top, 1.5 Ghz P4. I have a feeling its SD Ram PC 133, ive only got 256 MB in it at the moment, painfully slow, there is 4 memory slots on the board, why bother its old ? I like playing about with these old machines, this ones like mint as new condition, any surgestions on the memory appreciated. Dave. PS i could use CPUZ, ive looked at the 256 no data on it.

Last edited:

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
Check the bios. it will list the speed of the memory installed. It won't matter if you put faster memory in as it will all run to the lowest speed. If it has dual channel support then you will need to match your memory, but if you do not care about that then it really won't matter that much.

184 pin PC133 sounds about right to me for the CPU. pretty common ram for pc's of that era

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Hi thanks for your replys, mmm is it 168 or 184 pin, i know its SD 133 its hard to find over here, most of its gone for the newer DDR 1 2 3 I had it in bits yesterday clean out the dust board cpu and psu, got a fair bit of DDR, thought i had some SD 133 in the cupboard. Oh well have to pull it out count the pin out number. PC max is 1.5 Gig, its an old but usable machine. support for XP until 2014, longer if there are many users. Dave.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Wow i had no idea SD Ram was so expensive, 256mb is £ 30.00, and 512 is £ 50.00, unbelievable, any way the machine has three slots, and the max is 1.5 Gig's. Will i put that in it, well yes, its a favorite machine i had a while back, you know its not current tech, or its not worth spending money on, but its one of those i like it things, the misses traveled 230 miles to collect it of an eBay seller, worth it ? to me yes, every one ive told says ive lost the plot, anyway its in mint condition, and although old, will still do what i want it to do, it will be about as fast as a current note book is, thats ok. It was 168 pin memory, what did it cost me, well £ 50.00 plus the fuel to get it, and the 1.5 Gig's of Ram i will put in it. All told about £ 250.00 because iam worth it ha ha, mmmmm MAD. Dave. :D

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The RAM is probably expensive because nothing uses it any more (perverse reason, I know).

Look on eBay, you may find it going for a song.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Hi Steve.
Yes i have had a look on ebay for some, there is quite a bit on there, i was after three 512mb sticks, prices are good, only thing putting me off is how a mate of mine looks after his memory modules, ive picked up and looked at his, some of them have had the SMC's knocked off, careless. what if i purchase some off ebay and there banged around, if it was not for the gamble on getting good modules i would get some off ebay. Dave. :)

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Memory Ram

Nope it no good £ 150.00 is to much, ive had a look at Ian's link, thats much better, think i will have a look about local first, one or two pc shops in thanet Ramsgate where i live, although one shop i give a wide berth, they put a dodgy copy of XP on one machine i had, went to do updates and MS said no no no, proof of installation, nope, owe lost 40 quid. past history now, ive got one good pc shop local, his put a couple of installations on for me in the past.

I would do it myself, but I dont have the software, again XP not available any more, only on ebay, mmm.

A fresh instal including all drivers codecs etc cost 40 quid, but the emachine got a good clean instal of XP pro on it already, all those updates on 256mb ram, i could have sat there and chewed my fingers to the bone, ssssslow. I will find some for a sensible price, the 50 quid per 512mb of ram was maplins prices, there robbers. Dave. :)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
On eBay I see things like 1gig of SD RAM for about $AU12 including postage from Hong Kong. Ah, but I see that you have a max of 512Mb per stick.

Perhaps this is what you want?

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Yes The maximum each slot in the machine can handle is 512mb, and three slots total, the max is 1.5 Gig's, i would have done 1 Gig in slot one, and 512mb in slot two, but the only way to max out the memory is 512mb per slot, total the Mother board can handle is 1.5 Gigabytes. Its an emachine 730. 2002 build from what i can make out. But its spotlessly clean, very little use as the security case seal was in tact, and on clean out dust was minimal. i will post a picture of it later. Dave.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Hi to all. I did not want to start a new thread, i know this is an electronics forum, so i wont keep banging on about pc's. Ok my question i have this desire to know if windows XP will run on a Dell Dimension, i think its an XPS T450 pentium 3 its got the stock spec, so some things might need upgrading, HDD size, bit more Ram etc but the cpu is 450mhz, crazy as it sounds i want to try. I wont expect super performance, or top end graphics, just web surfing and the forum etc. does or has any one tried. Dave

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
All i was looking to do was see the result, i looked into minimum system requirements, inital indications says it will work, but limited performence, but has any one tried it ? Dave.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
How much RAM does it have? Depending on the software you run on it, XP should be able to cope with 256Mb

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Hi Steve.
Yes i would start at 256mb, but it says XP home will run on 128mb, but i wont try, i know its to little, and the system will be leaning on the use of virtual memory, it might at 256mb, i will try and see, it a bit of will it work, nothing critically serious use.

I want to see performance on these old machines, minimum OS being XP home edition.
Graphics is another stumbling block, not sure on the graphics in these machines, i dont wont 4 bit or even 8, i would try 16 and 32 bit if the settings hardware and installed drivers of the graphics will let me, are try it and see. Dave. :)

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
PC memory

Hi all. ive opted to ask this question in this thread as opposed to starting a new thread, as the question is about the same machine. Ive upgraded it with 1.5 GB of SD Ram, it runs niceley, one anoying problem, on powering up there is a click through the external speakers, i know the speakers are fine due to using them on another machine, so a put a new sound card in, its not made any difference, apart from the click from the speakers on pressing the power on button, the sound is fine, not sure why ?
Dave.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
PC

I have googled what i can find on this small problem, some say its the hdd spinning up, or the optical drive starting up, it does not seem to be a major fault as ive looked into all drivers codecs, and hardware property's, its just annoying, but something i might have to put up with, not sure, as said i put a new sound card in, ive closely gone over the MB looking for any bad caps, but cant find any, i say this as another machine with a sound problem some time ago had bad caps, any ideas appreciated.
Dave.
My head today, apologies the question is in the correct thread

Last edited: