Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PC interface with 100 toggle switches

Lilly

May 31, 2010
I have a question that I hope someone here can help with.

Let's say that I have 100 toggle switches mounted on a wall, so that I can turn each one on and off by hand individually. Each is numbered 1 through 100. The switches would normally be off.

Next, on a PC, I have a program running that shows the layout of my switches. When I turn on one of the switches, for example switch #5, A stopwatch timer would begin counting upward for switch#5. Then, if I flip another switch on, another timer would start for that switch. Basically I could look at a monitor and see which switches are on and how long they have been on.

When a switch gets turned back off, I want to record (in a text file if possible) the duration of the particular switch being on and then clear that timer.

Most of my experience is with HTML, Java Script and... (please don't hold this against me) some Visual Basic and MS Access work. I've never had a program interact with the outside world though, and I want to learn how. Not sure if I need a PLC, program my own microchip or what. I am open to any suggestion on how this would most economically be done and what language I would need to learn.

Thank you very much,

Lilly