Connect with us

PC CRT Monitor

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by redsierra, Jun 17, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. redsierra

redsierra

Jun 17, 2011
    Hello, I am new to this forum and wish all members the best of luck. My problem: crt monitor display went red and blue on switching on. I checked the RGB cable from the pc tower to the monitor and found to be ok. The problem seems to be the monitor.
    Any idea what is causing this and how do I fix it? Thanks in advance. Awaiing your reply.

2. poor mystic

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
    Hi Redsierra :)
    I always prefer to prove that the monitor is at fault by replacing it with a different monitor and making sure everything comes right. After that it's a matter of working through the circuitry in the monitor, for which I need a circuit diagram and oscilloscope.
    Sometimes of course it will be possible to see what's gone wrong without those items but that's pretty rare. At least a decent multimeter will be needed for nearly every fault.
    Do take care if you decide to open the monitor - there are voltages above 10kV in those circuits!

3. redsierra

redsierra

Jun 17, 2011
    re-pc crt monitor

hi poor mystic,
    I did swap monitors and worked fine, that's why I suspected the monitor at fault.
    Regarding the RGB (cause I think the green gone) where is it located in a monitor or to put it another way, how can I trace it?
    Tks for your help.

4. poor mystic

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
    Hi Redsierra
    the only reliable way for me to make progress is by working through the circuitry in the monitor, for which I need a circuit diagram and oscilloscope.

5. suryajaved

suryajaved

Jul 16, 2011
    hallo redsierra you are not describe your monitor co. name and model how can any one give you solution i can,t understand

6. daddles

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
    redsierra, I would recommend you not attempt to troubleshoot your monitor, at least not unless you were under the supervision of an experienced electrical troubleshooter. The reason is that there can be hazardous voltages present that can kill you if you accidentally touch them (I had this happen to me about 40 years ago while I was alone (it was a radio, not a monitor) and it cured me of ignorantly poking around in such circuitry).

An experienced electrical tech might be able to figure out what's wrong without a schematic, but he'll have worked on many different monitors. If you just have to work on such a thing, you must first get a schematic as poor_mystic has indicated. Otherwise you're wasting your time. *

* The only time this is not true is if you can open the thing up and see some obvious defect or damaged component by visual inspection with power off.

7. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    You were lucky.

Death is often fatal.

8. redsierra

redsierra

Jun 17, 2011
    re-monitor

hi daddles, thanks for your advice. I don't have an oscilloscope. The monitor in question was sent to a quaified electronic tech about a week ago.
    thanks guys.

Ask a Question