Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PC controlled relays

kf5aeo

Dec 31, 2011
im looking for something thats either usb or db9 that i can use a program on the computer to control relays or a series of relays to get 12vdc or 120vac controls.

Basically i want to use the software to either manually turn relays off or on or have an option to do this automatically like a PLC.

ive seen some kits at "The Shack" and really have no clue exactly what they were for but got me wondering if there was something like i need.

im more or less a beginer in electronics , but have built a kit or 2 over the years so building one wouldnt be much of a problem if i had to go that route

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
This is really rather easy, but you are gonna need some programming knowledge. To do this interactively you will need to have some form of communication from the computer to the uC. This requires a program on the uC to accept the commands sent to it by the computer program.

If you look up the arduino and serial communication on google you will likely find plenty of examples. Just to give you an idea.

Balrock

Mar 1, 2012
Note of warning. I would not recommend learning electronics at "mains" voltage levels. Be very careful!

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
there are heaps and heaps of these kits available, and if you have the money complete home automation kits (i would buy a premade kit for anything that runs on mains) if can give us a country we can probably get you a stockist. here in australia I use jaycar and they have kits and instructions for this, i believe they even provide the software.