Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PC ATX Open Jumpers/Shunts for Switches

tnok85

Jan 4, 2012
Hi,

I was looking to build a set of custom switches for an ATX PC. I'm trying to find Shunts/Jumpers that are built to accept a pair of wires for a momentary (normally off) switch.

I'm not entirely familiar with all the terminology, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking to buy.

Thanks!

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Hi tnok85.
Welcome to you.
What is an atx pc ? what is it your looking to do, ive tried to understand your post but am not sure what your wanting to do, other than it involves a pc and an atx power supply i think. :)

tnok85

Jan 4, 2012
Hi tnok85.
Welcome to you.
What is an atx pc ? what is it your looking to do, ive tried to understand your post but am not sure what your wanting to do, other than it involves a pc and an atx power supply i think. :)

Sorry! I should have been a bit more clear.

For a computer, the ATX momentary switches to turn the computer on and off (as well as the reset switch/LEDs etc) use jumpers. If you want an always on connection, you can use the standard shunts/jumpers that I'm sure many of you have seen on hard drives/motherboards etc:

jumper254.Alarge.jpg

But I need them to be open (ie. one contact for each pin, but not connected to each other) so I can solder or attach wires there to build my own momentary switches.

A pre-made example is here:
http://www.amazon.com/Power-Motherboard-Cable-Switch-Button/dp/B00345WH4A/ref=pd_rhf_dp_shvl1

The part I'm interested in is the jumper on the opposite end of the wire from the switch. I have a handful of computers I need to do it for, and $5 a pop is silly when I can (likely) build them myself, especially since I want to use custom switches anyway.