Connect with us

Passive cross over Project

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by wannabegeek, Sep 6, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. wannabegeek

wannabegeek

Aug 17, 2011
    Hi all,

I'm pretty much done with my other project and luckily found in my junk pile, an old
    SS audio amplifier, the Sanyo STK4152II .

I found a nice data sheet for this IC and understand most of of it for once....

I also have a pair of empty Tannoy cabinets whose speakers died years ago...

So, I plan to make an audio amplifier with the STK4152II and a passive crossover for the speakers. After doing some reading it appears to me that making the crossover is going to be harder than choosing components for the amp.

I want to use cheap car speakers that mount up tight to the cabinet, and have their own grills since the original coverings are long gone.

My understanding, is that I need to get the speakers in the cabinets and measure the Cap, Inductance and resistance of the mechanical set up first and include these values in my crossover design. this is tough right, because I need a bridge circuit and use O-scope as a differential amp....which in the past was harder than it sounded.

Or, should I try to model the response of the bare speakers, Input frequency Vs Output Power and derive the values from fitting a curve to the data...? It should be lie
    e^[theta*j] where theta is a complex number.

thanks !

Ask a Question