Connect with us

Part Identification

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by SoundFreq11, Apr 28, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. SoundFreq11


    Apr 28, 2016
    I have never seen one of these before in my repairs. It seems to be some sort of surface mount ceramic capacitor or a resistor. It is on the underside of the board bridging two pathways. Any help would be appreciated. I've attached a file of what it looks like.

    Attached Files:

  2. 73's de Edd

    73's de Edd

    Aug 21, 2015

    Sir SoundFreq11. . . . . . .

    Why 'soitanly . . . . . it reminds me of a tubular ceramic capacitor . . . in ye olde tymes they looked like this:


    Of course now-a-days, when there is no need of leads, and being surface mount . . . .they have taken a variance to :


    73's de Edd

    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  3. cjdelphi


    Oct 26, 2011
    Totally tubular!
  4. shrtrnd


    Jan 15, 2010
    I've seen plenty of device packages like this. I ASSUMED it was the transisition from leaded devices to SMD.
    As electronics got smaller, I figured mfgrs were trying to save space by using this type of package, (some devices are
    still packaged like this), to save space and eliminate thru-hole space on PCBs.
    I've seen them as caps, resistors, inductors, fuses,
    Maybe somebody has the verifiable story behind them. But us low-brow techs often resort to speculation.
    davenn likes this.
  5. SoundFreq11


    Apr 28, 2016
    Thank's 73's de Edd! You da Man!
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day