Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Part Identification request

01DawG10

Oct 22, 2014
Good day fellow people,

Hope all is well.

I recenty disassembled a motorcycle IC Igniter, but for the love of all thing pretty, I cannot seem to identify or find the parts that came out of this thing...

Would somebody be kind enough to share their knowledge with me?

DSC_0598.jpg

Thanks in advance :)
H

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
As you probably know from a Google search, they don't show-up anywhere.
It might help if you tell us the motorcycle manufacturer, or if this igniter sytem is an after market add-on, who made it.
Semiconductors from vehicle manufacturers typically have proprietary part numbers stamped on them so nobody knows what they are (so you go back to their own service departments for repairs).
What you have are two power-type devices, probably transistors or voltage regulators (we'd have to see the circuit to know that).
The EXT162 is the identifier for the manufacturer part number, the 0302 is the date code (2003, 2nd week of manufacturing year).
Some guys here will ask you to try to take resistance readings from the leads to try to determine what they might be, but I'd shoot for cross-referencing them by part number if we can do that first.
Sometimes, when we know who made the devices, we can find a cross reference for their part number. But not always. Without a mfgr logo on the device, we need to know who they were made for (company name).
That's my input, maybe you'll get a better idea from someone else here later.

01DawG10

Oct 22, 2014
Thanks for the info.

I did some more research myself and concluded that both seem to be a Darlington Pair Power Transistors (Definitely Darlington's, presumably Bipolar as both have 6 pin connectors).

These specific items were torn from a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750-E1 IC Ignitor (Ignition Coil Igniter). The inputs on these are from 2 pickups and each outputs to an Ignition Coil (2 Coils on the motorcycle).

I strongly doubt that the 0302 is a date code, as this is the original unit.

I was hoping that some of the numbers could indicate some form of standard specs, as my Google searches ended up with nothing..

Also, a wiring diagram for reference, but looking at it it seems pretty basic to me.. 2 inputs (2 wires each), 2 outputs (1 wire each), a +12v connection and Ground.
image.jpg

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Wow. Partzilla wants $750 for your ignitor. I can see why you want to repair it.
Kawasaki electronics division changed their name to MegaChips in 2013. Just in case it helps you in your parts search.
I'll keep looking, just thought I'd pass that on because you're trying to search for info also.
I'll be looking for someone who might have a cross reference, and will post it here if I find one for your part number.
Have you considered checking wrecking-yards for the complete ignitor assemby? A lot of them post their wares on-line now if you have any in your area, and
most of those are connected by internet to other wrecking-yards all across the country. If they don't have one locally, they may be able to find one for you.
I may not come-up with any useful information, but I'll look when I have spare time. Just wanted to let you know what I've thought of for now.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Might be this one........

Attachments

• nte162.pdf
    24 KB · Views: 117

01DawG10

Oct 22, 2014
Wow. Partzilla wants $750 for your ignitor. I can see why you want to repair it.
Kawasaki electronics division changed their name to MegaChips in 2013. Just in case it helps you in your parts search.
I'll keep looking, just thought I'd pass that on because you're trying to search for info also.
I'll be looking for someone who might have a cross reference, and will post it here if I find one for your part number.
Have you considered checking wrecking-yards for the complete ignitor assemby? A lot of them post their wares on-line now if you have any in your area, and most of those are connected by internet to other wrecking-yards all across the country. If they don't have one locally, they may be able to find one for you.
I may not come-up with any useful information, but I'll look when I have spare time. Just wanted to let you know what I've thought of for now.

Thats true yes, a new one is utterly costly. Thanks for the info. We only have one wrecking yard here in south africa, and they charge me about $180 for a second hand one, without any guarantees.

I actually came across a replacement circuit which I'm considering, but I'll have to wait 8 weeks for some of the parts :(...

Might be this one........
It might be it, but the problem is knowing if it is.. I have no form of testing available other than a multimeter, and due to my rural surroundings, I doubt whether I would find someone within 200km radius to assist. But interestingly enough, this might help with the other circuit I'm looking at, thanks :)