Maker Pro
Maker Pro

parallel resistor

metelskiy

Nov 5, 2010
Hello, I'm new to this community and to electronics. I need help with lab report that i need to do. here is the situation. I had to design a simple circuit voltage devider with 10V power source using only 2 resistors and output voltage to be 6V. So i figured out two resistors would be R1=3.9k and R=5.6k
lab 4_6V.png
Than in next lab we had to modify this circuit to make output voltage 5V instead of 6V by simply adding parallel resistor R3 across R2. By calculation i figured out R3 to be 11k.
Now in my lab report i need to explain everything. But i don't understand how adding 11k in parallel with R2 dropped voltage from 6V to 5V? Can someone please explain in details how did this process go? I thought at point A voltage should be 10V minus voltage drop across R1. Or if we have main source 10V and we need 5V between to resistances i thought those 2 resistances should be equal. please help.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Look in the tutorials section here for a tutorial on resistors in series and parallel.

This one might help you. If there's nothing suitable in the tutorials section, google for "resistors in series and parallel"

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Now in my lab report i need to explain everything. But i don't understand how adding 11k in parallel with R2 dropped voltage from 6V to 5V? Can someone please explain in details how did this process go? I thought at point A voltage should be 10V minus voltage drop across R1. please help

ok so did you so your resistors in parallel calculation to work out what the combined value would be ?

keep in mind that 11k Ohm resistors are hard to come by (maybe a metalfilm)
the standard value would be 12k Ohms use that

Or if we have main source 10V and we need 5V between to resistances i thought those 2 resistances should be equal.

That is true, do your calc and you mite be plesantly suprised with the answer :)

Dave